Home GuitarPCB Forum General DIY Pedal Discussion New NostalgiTone 70’s – Now w/ 3 Video Demos

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Barry
    Keymaster

Are you ready to elevate your game? The NostalgiTone 70s combo is here to give you the ultimate sonic experience. We have combined the best of the best, squeezing three incredible circuits into a genre-defining combo.

• Boost: The Rangemaster was a cornerstone of many ’70s rock sounds including guitar legends like Tony Iommi, Marc Bolan, and Brian May, as well as the pioneers of N.W.O.B.H.M. like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Our Boost circuit goes beyond, merging the standard output Volume control with our Range control, from classic treble-boost tone to full range or any sweet spot in between. Plus, the Heat control gives you mastery over gain level saturation, flexibility the original lacked with its fixed maximum gain. It is now your turn to redefine classic rock tones.
    • Tweed: Unleash the authentic tones of the legendary Tweed 5E3 amp like never before. Equipped with adjustable internal trimmers and a versatile Hi/Lo switch, achieve it all—from powerful clean tones in Lo mode to fiery, Neil Young-worthy gain in Hi mode. Seamlessly pair Tweed with the Boost for an unprecedented sonic journey.
    • British: Unlock genuine British tones effortlessly with our newest creation—an essential tool for your authentic sonic quest. With a complete Marshall-style tone stack and the versatile Boost, achieving those iconic British tones becomes second nature. This dynamic duo offers an array of tonal options, seamlessly transitioning from early Plexi-style tones to the revered 800 sound. Dive into an unparalleled sonic realm and sculpt your signature sound with ease.

If you’re enthusiastic about this concept, your purchase will help pave the way for additional genre and artist-specific combo PCBs in the near future.

SHOP NOW

Barry
    Keymaster

A new video with Sabbath style tones.

Big O
    Participant

I loved the Sabbath demo for the Nostalgitone 70’s – great playing Barry!  Sounds spot on!

The Judas Priest pedal I built awhile back seams similar to the Nostalgitone 70’s.  A Rangemaster into a Plexi Plus with a ToneTweq.  I don’t know if the Plexi Plus is the basis for the Marshall-like section of the Nostalgitone, but I wouldn’t be surprised it is.

Barry
    Keymaster

Interesting. That gave me an idea for another demo.

It was a great privilege to meet the guitar players of Judas Priest (among others) during the British Steel and Point of Entry tours. Attending shows featuring bands like Def Leppard, Scorpions, and Priest—or alternatively Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, and Priest—for just $10 per ticket was an incredible experience. Following them around was truly worthwhile. During this time, I learned that many of them incorporated Rangemaster circuits into their amps to attain the N.W.O.B.H.M. crunch without the excessively loud volumes.

New video with Judas Priest style tones.

Big O
    Participant

Early Judas Priest is definitely a good use for this pedal as your demo shows, Barry.  From the Sad Wings days to at least the Hell Bent For Leather era.

It would have been great to meet Glen Tipton and Ken (KK) Downing back in the day and I certainly would have loved that (actually it would be great now).  I started listening to Judas Priest back when the Sad Wings album came out during my college days.  It is still one of my all time favorite albums and my favorite of Judas Priest.  A few years ago I had worked out the entire Dreamer Deceiver song, which is my favorite all time Priest song.  I have a lot of the earlier JP stuff on vinyl, although later got digital copies of the same albums.  One of my college roommates had Rock-a Rolla, which is a weak album, but JP had no choice in the way the album was mixed or recorded, and their heavy sound was toned down for some reason on that album.  I also listened to the early Scorpions (Uli Roth version), AC/DC, UFO, etc. back in my college days, and my roommate and I took a lot of grief from others on my dorm floor, telling us these bands would never make it and nobody listened to this music.

Years ago, the first concert I attended with my new girlfriend at the time (and now my wife of 36 years) was Judas Priest during the Point of Entry tour, also for the large sum of $10.  JP and Sabbath were the two main reasons I started my quest for treble boosters in the early 2000’s, since I had found out that was a large component of their sound.  I have built seven treble boosters over the years (2 Rangemaster based, 4 Hornby Skewes based and one Naga Viper based).  Looking at the NostalgiTone 70’s schematic, I know which one was used along with the British amp “model” circcuit.  A bit different than mine, but similar concept.

Judas Priest pedal revisited below.

mark willcox
    Participant

what hammond box is used for this project. i didnt c it listed?

Barry
    Keymaster

what hammond box is used for this project. i didnt c it listed?

If you are referring to the picture directly above, it looks like a 1590BB. It combines different individual PCBs into a combo which are not always my PCBs. That is why it is not listed.

To find out more about creating combos go to the Guides Page and scroll down for the guide.

……………………………………………………………………………

If you are referring my NostalgiTone 70’s, it is listed under the SALE section, and now a brand new NostalgiTone Products section of the main Shop Page with all the pertinent details in the build document.

Since this page is an AD that I use on other forms of social media to promote my new NostalgiTone project, for clarity, this is what is listed on my site: NosatalgiTone 70’s, which can do Judas Priest tones, Sabbath tones, as well as Neil Young “Rust” tones, and powerful clean tones, with its unique TWEED section, and a whole lot more.

Big O
    Participant

Now that Christmas is over, I have time to reply.

If you are referring to my Judas Priest pedal above, then it is a 1590X enclosure – 5.72 inch (145mm) x 4.77 inch (121mm) x 2.22 inch (56mm).  It was needed so that 6 Marshall type knobs could be arranged across like on an amp face.  Plus I needed room for GBOF, Rototone, PlexiPlus and ToneTweq boards along with the obligate 3PDT board on the footswitch.

If you are referring to the NostalgiTone 70’s, then it is a 1590DD according to the Tayda document.  Tayda is where I obtain the majority of my enclosures, some pre-drilled and others that I drill myself and their enclosures are well done for the money, although shipping has gone up recently.

Rixroxx
    Participant

I wonder how the “British” channel would sound with different clipper like 1n4148 or maybe there is an added switch to toggle between LED and silicon diodes or other type of diodes.

Barry
    Keymaster

That would be an easy mod to incorporate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.