Home GuitarPCB Forum GuitarPCB Build Support Cranky Charles (Round Two)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, quick question about the Cranky Charles. Two of the diodes are LEDs. I see that there are three holes. What is the extra hole for?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    -Drew

Barry
    Keymaster

In case you wished to use use silicon or germanium instead.

Barry
    Keymaster

Looks like at least one of the LEDS is in backwards BTW

The Cathode is the flat side.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ah I see! Thank you.
    Yes, I noticed the backwards LED upon inspection of my photo and I already fixed it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am building the cranky Charles. This is my second pedal ever. Almost have it finished but every time I plug it up to my pedal board all of my other pedals go dead and the cracks Charles doesn’t work. Any ideas on where I should start first? Thanks!

wilkie1

The  new Cranky Charles pedal has the wiring wrong on the jack(s).  The signal is shorted to ground.  When you add this pedal to the pedal board, it is grounding out the entire board.

Barry
    Keymaster

Switch the Tip and Ring Wiring at the Stereo Input Jack.

Updated wiring diagram

Barry
    Keymaster

Build document has been updated and sorry for any confusion.

Thanks though for pointing it out so I could correct the error in the Build Document.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Awesome, thank you!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds great!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I went back and re-wired it to the new build docs. Still does the same thing. No sound when I cut the pedal on and kills all my other pedals on my board.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is another view.

Barry
    Keymaster

The only thing different between the new and old diagram is the the Tip and Ring lugs were switched on a stereo Jack and you are using a Mono jack and no battery so that would not have been a major issue. So what you need to look for is some sort of short. I would look hard at the connection on the IN side and be sure there is not a stray wire touching ground since they are so close together.

Also:

Billy

You’ve got D4 the wrong way round

Barry
    Keymaster

Eagle Eyes!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you Billy!! Yes! I flipped D4 around and got some noise finally. There is a high pitch noise coming out now when the pedal is on and I’m not playing.

Barry
    Keymaster

I would re-flow solder joints on most of the project.

There are a couple places that look like there is not much wire holding onto the pad or solder bulbs that are likely a cold joint. Also re-flow the 3PDT pads so the joints flow. Just heat your iron up using a fine conical tip and flip the board over to the back and do all the joints. Then pay close attention to any wiring issues. Especially any wires hanging by a thread would need redone.

Here are a couple places I can see from the photo.

If you still have trouble when you are done with that upload new photos and include as much of the back side of the board as you can with the pots angled up. I would suggest .031 diameter solder if you have it as it will help make a quick, solid solder joint.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.