Home GuitarPCB Forum Show Off Your Build Yogi Bear’s Nemesis – Ranger Danger

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Big O
    Participant

Finished a PURP finally after having had the PCB for a couple of years with a total of 3 GPCB boards in the project for a mini combo build.  Just wanted to build other pedals as I already have a few treble boosters, both Si and Ge, so I waited until I started running out of other projects.  Of course I put my own flair on the project.  Instead of the Grit trimpot off the emitter side, I wired up a 10K external pot instead so I could have an exterior control for the “Grit.” I really like this mod because I can add the slight grittiness to the sound and then back it off for a standard treble boost without opening the back of the pedal.

Second, I substituted a Rototone for the C2 input cap for additional flavors of mid boost, the “Mids” control.  In positions 1-4, I placed 6.8n, 15n, 27n and 39n caps so that in parallel with the standard value 6.8n cap I would have input capacitance’s  of ~14n, 22n, 33n and 46n close to standard values.  A 22n input cap is standard for a Hornby Skewes treble booster and a reported Blackmore mod was changing that to 47n, so this booster has it all!  For a third mod, I also placed and 82n cap at C3 to give more of a full range boost (close to 90n total capacitance in parallel with the stock 6.8n cap).

I did run into one glitch right after finishing – I got nothing from the pedal including no bypass.  I figured it must be the input or output jack, and of course it was a defective input jack, so I replaced it and the pedal fired right up.  Unfortunately, in the process of pulling off the input jack wires, the ground wire detached from the 3PDT wiring board (broke off).  I spent some time trying to clean out the solder eyelet on the board and finally gave up after awhile, just soldering the wire to another ground eyelet.  I was just a bit ticked off that a bad component delayed the completion of the working pedal, but that is one of the “joys” of pedal building.  Pictures below.

Exterior Top

Gutshot.

Barry
    Keymaster

Very nice and thanks for sharing the photos and story!

Playsforfun

Very cool. Nice work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.