Home GuitarPCB Forum GuitarPCB Build Support Germanium PNP transistors in PURP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Wood
    Participant

I bought several of the germanium pnp transistors that were offered recently on the guitarpcb.com site. I intend to use one of them on the PURP Rangemaster board. How do I determine which of the leads are the emitter, base and collector? My TC1 is not capable of reading a germanium transistor. Is there a way to do it with a multi-meter? Thanks for any help offered.

Billy

Your TC1 will show it as a BJT indicating the pins or you can Google the transistor type pinout although it may be in Russian it’s fairly obvious which pin is which

If it’s the GT308 or P416 the pinout is here

Barry
    Keymaster

Most Russian Germanium have a dot to indicate the emitter side. Then typically they reverse the Base and Collector from what we would expect like in the image below. Try looking up datasheets for confirmation. Remember Russian alphabet is different.

If they are not Russian look up datasheet.

Big O
    Participant

Agree with Barry.  You may have to internet search for the data sheet, which is what I used to do.  Fortunately I invested in a DCA-55 and use that to give me the pinouts and I have found it to be an invaluable tool for that and other things such as measuring forward voltages on diodes.

Tim Wood
    Participant

Despite your excellent suggestions, I was unable to figure out which lead is which. I suspect my lack of knowledge is the problem. I really appreciate y’all taking the time to help me. I eventually will figure it out. I have a pretty good idea of which lead is the base, so I have a 50 percent chance of being right on the first try.

Barry
    Keymaster

If they are Russian the dot indicates the Emitter and the lead for the Base on the opposite side.

Otherwise the Tab indicates the emitter and they follow the silkscreen on the PCB.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.