Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Zenith + Stage 3 (solved)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Shane
    Participant

I got my Zenith + Stage 3 combo put together and for the life of me can’t figure out whats going on. I get a bypass signal but only when it’s not connected to power. Whenever I engage the Zenith with power I get nothing but major buzz with a little guitar signal passing.  The pots do nothing. ON a not I have BS170’s instead of the 2N7000’s installed. Here’s a couple of pics and the exact wiring as I have it now.

wilkie1

It appears that you have the ground lugs of BOTH jacks (orange wires) wired to the in and out pads of both 3PDT wiring boards.  Reverse the orange and green wires on the jacks.

Shane
    Participant

I figured it was something stupid. At least I was consistent 🙄 I’ll give that a go and report back. Thanks as always wilkie1.

Shane
    Participant

Swapped the orang and green on both jacks. I now have sound. Barely. Major hesitation then farts out badly and dies quickly. I replaced all the diodes, BS170’s, and IC one at a time with new ones to no change. Thought it might be loose connections in the SIP sockets.  Must be a connection someplace but chopsticking wires didn’t seem to make a change anywhere either. On a positive note the Stage 3 boost the farty sound.

Shane
    Participant

I noticed the build pdf says “If you are using one of GuitarPCB’s handy 3PDT wiring boards, pads S4, S5, S6 and D8 would be ignored and R16 would not be installed.” This should be D5 and R9 correct. If so I’ve populated R9.

Barry
    Keymaster

Yes D5 the Status LED and R9 the Status LED CLR should not be installed since they are installed on the 3PDT switch now but if they are it wouldn’t matter. With no D8 that is not an issue.

I will fix the typo.

Barry
    Keymaster

Looking at your Photo Q1 and Q2 are backwards from the board silkscreen. That would cause the issue you speak of.

I just noticed you made a substitute. BS170 may have different characteristics. Double check each Datasheet.

Shane
    Participant

Found it. Missed soldering a leg for R2. Pulled the whole thing apart and it was plain as day. Works a treat now.

I did check the data sheets on the BS170. Exact same part as the 2N7000, the pinout is just reversed and it can handle more current.

I sure appreciate all your help. I was certain I looked over all the joints, but obviously missed one. I’m gonna have to use my magnifying goggles from now on because me eyesight is getting so bad I still didn’t see it until I took a picture and zoomed in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart