Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support which is the best buffer?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi, i recently built a musikding buffer https://www.musikding.de/docs/musikding/buffer/bufferschalt.pdf because i was having annoying noises from my internal buffer in my G Lab GSC4. with the musikding kit it’s possible to build 3 different buffers : germanium, silicone or jfet. at first i built the jfet because research said this is superior. unfortunately it cut bass and made my guitar sound thinner. so i built the silicone version, bit less output than the jfet but much better and linear. but… when i roll my guitar volume all the way down it causes a horrible hum noise. i’m remotely switching it on/off with the uber bypass http://diy.thcustom.com/?wpdmdl=3228 from th custom and my G Lab. i need this so that when i call up presets i can automatically turn the buffer on or off because i use some fuzzes that don’t dig buffers. i can’t imagine this is causing the problems because i’ve used the uber bypass in other builds with no problems. now i’m considering building your opamp version. is the silent tuner buffer and the 3dpdt buffer the same buffer? is it based on the amz opamp buffer? the silent tuner version seems interesting because in the build docs it mentions i can also use it as a switchable boost but i don’t need a silent tuner out, the G Lab has that. and the silent tuner probably doesn’t fit in a 1590A right? the 3dpdt fits in a 1590 right? but can i wire it up to the uber bypass so i can remotely turn it on/off?

man, i never thought buffers would lead me down such a rabbit hole. would appreciate any help or suggestions.

thanx and best, rick

Cybercow

jazzuar – Typically, annoying ‘hum’ stems from a grounding error\issue. In my thinking, adding more electronics in an attempt to solve a noise issue in another piece of gear is like putting a band-aid on a broken bone – it’s just going to draw more attention to the root cause. I would focus my attention on resolving the noise in the GSC4 instead of trying to externally “buffer” out the issue. But then maybe I’m not fully grasping the problem.

Cybercow

Anonymous
    Inactive

hi cybercow, you’re naturally quite right but the really annoying noise i’m experiencing isn’t just in my G Lab, it’s also on some of my amps (for example my blackface fenders) without even hooking up a guitar to them. i’m quite sure it’s coming from from my wall power and just getting amplified, especially more when i use higher gain. i’ve tried many different power filters, even the somewhat expensive furmans and can’t get rid of it. i have a carpenter under my studio and it most likely comes from there. some days it’s better than others. but… it seemed a bit better with the silicone buffer but then the volume/hum issue. this doesn’t happen with the GLab internal buffer. that’s why i thought maybe i would try the opamp buffer and see what happens there.

Cybercow

jazzuar – Having a studio above a power intensive business just seems like an invitation for “issues”. It sounds like what you need to address the grounding issue is a power conditioner. It is not stompbox related as there seems to be a grounding issue within the building’s wiring – based on what you’ve said. I suggest contacting an electrical contractor and see if you can “try out” a power conditioner. If a power conditioner does not solve the grounding issue(s), then you have some real troubleshooting work in front of you to resolve grounding on each and every amp you have. If you cannot identify the root cause, it will be only a stroke of luck to solve it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

in any case, can we get back to my initial questions about the guitar pcb opamp buffer? does the silent tuner buffer fit in a 1590A? if yes, can i use it as a buffer with an additional switchable boost and not use the silent tuner out?

Cybercow

jazzuar – the Silent Tuning with Buffer circuit build document states the PCB is 1.80 x 1.47 inches – and with a 1590A enclosure having a maximum internal width of 1.327 inches, is too large for a 1590A enclosure. In fact the build document explicitly states the PCB will fit into a 1290NS\1590B or larger enclosure. The 3rd paragraph further explains that as designed, the circuit will deliver a 6db boost that can easily be changed to unity or a larger boost – as outlined and defined further on in the document.

The silent tuner out is a jack that would simply not be installed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.