Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion What’s Up at GuitarPCB?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Barry
    Keymaster

There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes lately.

So here is what to look forward to in the very near future.

1. Updated Off-board wiring and Pads.

2. Some boards are being redesigned to feature on-board pots that were not originally.

3. Check out the new pads for 3PDT Wiring Boards, Buffer Boards, Buff N Blend and After-blaster.

(note the gentle curves)

4. Additionally all upgraded boards will use the 1N5817 diode for protection.

If you have any thoughts or questions feel free to ask.

Big O
    Participant

The changes look great!  It will be great to be able to use board mounted pots with the new larger off board pads.  This saves lots of time wiring up pots.

Barry
    Keymaster

Thanks Big-O.

Bruce R

Other goals of the redesigns include:

Maximizing the width of the enclosure that we expect each build will be placed in. If it is going in a 125B, the new boards are more likely to be at least 2 in wide, sometimes up to 2 3/8 in. wide. By using the additional width, the hope is to keep the boards shorter and allow the use of side jacks or top jacks on most projects.

To provide as consistent as possible spacing of potentiometer holes from one project to another. Not only will this make it easier one builders, but also on kit providers like myself.

Longer runs of similar components or similar component shapes. For example, boards will have a long row(s) of resistors/diodes. Capacitors with outside pins .2 in (~5mm) apart are likely to be placed in a row with transistors which have the outer pins .2 in apart. This is to give this projects a cleaner appearance.

Many circuit boards also will have the shorter components near the top of the layout, making it easier to use narrow top jacks in the eclosures that might overlap the top of the board (in deeper enclosures like a 125B).

In some cases, additional markings are being made on the PCB to help the Builder understand things like which side of the circuit board a component is mounted to. Some early projects show the screen print around PCB-mounted jacks on the top of the board, when those actually mount to the bottom of the PCB. Some of the 3pdt switch boards now state things like,  “Mount switch on this side”. Yes, we’ve seen some very frustrated new builders over the years. Hopefully some of these new markings will avoid a few of those past issues.

Like Barry, I certainly hope that everybody enjoys these new enhancements to our circuit boards!

Jon
    Participant

But what will I do with all my extra time if I’m not hand wiring pots?  Looks Great Barry, can’t wait to get some of the new boards, although I have about 20 or so floating around in my stash and ordered more yesterday.

Barry
    Keymaster

Here are the first two out of the gate:

The SWAH

EA Tremolo

fig
    Participant

Those look fantastic Barry!

wilkie1

Indeed!  Wonderful improvements!  Kudos to Bruce too!

fig
    Participant

Absolutely, wonderful work Bruce!

mybud
    Participant

Funkadelic! Boards look really good. Congrats Barry and Bruce.

Aviator
    Participant

Barry,

Just looked at your new instructions and noticed that you have the battery black going to the sleeve instead of the ring in the illustration. Other than that, it looks very good.

Jay

Gus
    Participant

Thanks for these updates !
    As an IT engineer, I know the tiniest, less visible changes are often the greatest ones 😉
    This also is a mark of great involvement in your products. Keep it this way !

Barry
    Keymaster

@ Aviator Thanks for the update that is obviously very good to know and why I am putting this stuff out there.

That will be a quick and easy update. I award you with a new Avatar, Aviator.

So what do you guys think of the Populated Board image for troubleshooting purposes?

wilkie1

That is just ANOTHER great idea that will facilitate construction and minimize troubleshooting.  Actually, I have noticed a big REDUCTION in troubleshooting requests over the last few years.  That just means that Barry’s Build Documents are getting better all the time.  Bravo!

Barry
    Keymaster

Thanks Wilkie and Gus!

Here are the current four complete build documents for our 2021 Boards

Big Muff Pi Opamp

EA Tremolo v4 2021

SWAH v5 2021

Tube Screaming Ultra v4 2021

Please check them out. I hope the resolution is good also while still maintaining a relatively small file size.

Jon
    Participant

Hi Barry, I noticed on the Tube Screaming Ultra buld doc it says that the stock build is the Landgraff.  To make an 808, it notes which parts need to change, but they are the same values as the Landgraff (I think).  Cheers!!

Barry
    Keymaster

Updated now to include The Vibe, SHO’ Nuff, Tight Box plus any corrections.

Note that all Docs are also on the Guides Page and Shop links.

@ Jon you are correct. I updated the Doc. Thank you for that!

Big Muff Pi Opamp v4 2021

EA Tremolo v4 2021

SHO’ Nuff v3r2 2021

SWAH v5 2021

The Vibe v4 2021

Tight Box v2 2021

Tube Screaming Ultra v4 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.