Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Wah Delima … Again

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #15025
    Chuck
    Participant

    When I built my first MoWah I looked at the price of new wah enclosures and decided to turn to FleaBay and Craig’s List instead to hunt up a non-functional Vox/Dunlop/whoever pedal for the enclosure.  Found a Guitar Research wah that was indeed dead and populated it with the first MoWah and recently repopulated it using Wilkie’s most excellect guide.  Etched a board for something that was supposed to be close to the old Maestro and bought a Dunlop Bass Wah that was supposed to be dead for about $25 with shipping – plugged it in and discovered it wasn’t dead but repopulated it with the etched board anyway.  Bought a supposedly non-functional Dunlop Hendrix Wah to use with MoWah #2 but it too worked – I did replace the inductor with a yellow Fasel (got me even happier with it) and added a 3PDT and LED.  Bought another non-functional Dunlop that was way older than the previous ones with a bottom plate that looked like it had been used to drive railroad spikes – nothing really special but it had a cool red rubber boot on the switch and the inductor had all the wire wraps exposed.  Plugged it in and it sounded nice – nothing really special but different from the others I had.  I ended up pulling the Hendrix to use the shell to house a MadBean Weener Wah and then pulled the older GCB-95 to use the shell to rehouse the Hendrix.  I have another shell for the old GCB-95 that I’ll use when I get a chance to get some new screws at Ace.  Started thinking I should move my Vibe to a wah shell so back over to FleaBay fo another non-functional wah – this time a 535Q.  Got it for less than $20 for a total of just over $30 with shipping.  Got it, plugged it in and … it works, no, it works great.  I’ve already been through the Frampton, Marley and Page settings.  It is missing the rubber feet and one of the stop posts on the toe, and the original owner left his name and a lot of velcro goo on the bottom plate, and there was a giant hairball on the rack, but the top side and internals (other than the hairball) are prestine.  So out of seven “non-functional” wahs I’ve purchased in eight years only one didn’t work.

    Now I got to hunt down another dead wah for the shell.  And, if successful, add a large wah/vibe wing to my pedal board.

    Chuck

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.