Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Tube Screaming Preamp Capacitor Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jimmy
    Participant

Hi All,

Doing my first build from scratch (ie sourcing all thr parts myself) and had a question about capacitors.  I bought the MLCC types for C6 and C11 as the guide suggests but I’m curious if I can use regular ceramic capacitors for the rest?  Minus the ones which are supposed to be electrolytic, obviously.  If you’re looking at the guides page the capacitors in question are namely C2 + C7-C9.  I’ve seen images of other build and it looked like people were using multi-layer capacitors instead?  Any help is appreciated.  Just don’t want to screw it up!  Thanks so much!

Best,

Jimmy

Billy

Those are film caps Jimmy

Get the polyester box type for nf values 5mm lead pitch anything up to 100v will fit

Check the beginners guide to components on the guides page for information

Jimmy
    Participant

<hr />

Thank you so much!

Cybercow

Jimmy – after having built several tube screamer circuits, some of them used all MLC caps in place of box films, I found no difference in the quality of sound between using box film or MLC caps. If you have MLC caps, but not the box films, it’s OK to proceed with the MLC caps if choose not to wait for a box film parts order. In my experience and opinion, one is not better than the other in this case. As long as they are the same value, meet the voltage rating requirement and have the same lead pitch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.