Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Trim pots, noob question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I’m currently working on the Julius and it calls for a 10k trim pot and I have the 10k cermet but I’m not sure how to determine pin #s. Any help would be awesome. I’ve checked this and other forums but haven’t really found an answer. It seems like pin2 should be the one on the dial bit, but I haven’t been able to find a data sheet for it.</p>

wilkie1

You are correct.  Pin #2 is the one on the dial that rotates.  It is the middle one in a triangle of 3.  You can see that the #1 and the #3 are closer together.  If you turn the trimmer full CCW, it will move the #2 toward the #1.  You can also check these out by measuring the resistance  between the pins as you turn the pot.

Barry
    Keymaster

This should also match up with the silkscreen on the board. The trimmer should only fit easily in one direction leaving you with the pin numbers silk-screened on the board which incidentally would allow you to wire an enclosure mounted pot using the same numbers.

We add an extra (closer) middle pad on all boards since some trimpots have a closer middle or #2 pin which makes our design more compatible with different brands of trimpots.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks gents. I was reasonably sure, but reasonably sure has failed me before. Should have finished build pics of both the Julius and the squishy octopus soon 👍

Barry
    Keymaster

That’s why we have a forum! You are absolutely correct.  😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.