Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Tony Iommi Combo additions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JDub
    Participant

I’m building the Tony Iommi Combo for a friend of mine who is a metal head.  He currently has a TS9 on his board so I was considering adding the Tube Screaming Preamp, but then I came across the Boogie 57.  Which board do you think would go better with the Sabotage and PURP boards, or do you think I should just leave the Tony Iommi combo alone?

If I added either of the preamps to the combo I was thinking about putting the Easy Order Switching Board between them rather than between the Sabotage and PURP.  What’s your opinion on that idea?

Thanks for you help,

Jim

Barry
    Keymaster

I would do all 3.

I would have PURP first, Sabotage followed by Tube Screaming Preamp.

While subjective I would probably keep the order switching between the PURP and the Sabotage for two reasons.

1. Pregain and postgain Boost switching will provide more tonal variety in my opinion.
    2. Another option to just using the Tubescreaming preamp as a standard Tubescreamer you could also dial the Gain down and also use it as a Post Sabotage boost with added Tone control.

That is just a quick imagining of a setup.

I also like all the tonal opportunities that would fit into a single enclosure.

I hope that helps.

JDub
    Participant

Thanks Barry.  That helps very much.  So you think the Tube Screaming Preamp is a better option than the Boogie 57?  Also, would you prefer the Tube Screaming Ultra over the Tube Screaming Preamp in this case?

Barry
    Keymaster

If the guy loves playing heavy riffs then I would probably go with the Boogie 57 over the Tube Screaming Preamp.

The Boogie 57 will give much higher gain options.

Everything else is very subjective.

JDub
    Participant

Perfect.  Thanks Barry.

JDub
    Participant

Hi Barry – So here’s the wiring diagram for the pedal I was asking about in the previous posts.  I’m not sure if it’s correct because this is the first combo I’ve built that is this complicated, or with the Easy Order Switcher.  I decided to use your suggestion on the order of the boards, the 4PDT version so I could take advantage of the LEDs and also go with the Boogie 57 rather than the Tube Screamer.  Do you see any issues with the wiring?

Here’s an image of the top so you can see how the pots, switches and LEDs are laid out.

Thanks.  I really appreciate your help and any suggestions you have to make it better!

Barry
    Keymaster

I stared at this for a while and I think you got it!

I really was making sure you had common ground completely covered.

While that will work you can save some wire length and extra tangle by removing 3 ground wires each marked with a pair of blue lines.

Then add the 2 ground wires indicated by my blue arrows. See if that makes sense.

Good luck.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Barry.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Barry.
    JDub
    Participant

Thanks very much Barry for taking the time to study my diagram and make the suggestions you made.  I really appreciate it!.  They do make sense and they help me understand how things work better too!!

I will be sure to post the finished product in the Show Off My Build forum.

Take care!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.