Home Forums Show Off Your Build Throwback post (after a repair)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

This is a throw back to my third ever build. It was also my first Ratt build and I had a lot to learn. You’ll forgive me I don’t post a gut shot here- it’s a disaster.

The pedal is a Ratt built fairly stock on the left. R/G status LED and stomp with Gain and Filter above it. On the right is a second Gain courtesy of a 2KJ. I have never really liked this particular build with the gain at anything lower than 3/4 full, so this feature is a bit lost. Knowing what I know now, I’ll likely pull this out in favor of a Stage 3. Same holes and labels!

The reason this needed a revisit was that I misunderstood the schematic and build notes so many years ago. The way I populated it made one of the toggles pretty useless. I’ve since built this circuit several times over and exploited many of its charms and I’ve always wanted to fix this. So tonight I swapped the two 914s. Above the switches are a green and a red clipping LED. I also somehow managed to wire my first Gain pot backwards back then, so this was a good opportunity to fix that. I’ve had a special affinity for this pedal and now I’m happy with it again. I’m very excited to pop the S3 in. I know that’s a killer combination and will take this amateur build and step it up closer to my current level.

Barry
    Keymaster

Instead of changing the 2 Knob Job from a Distortion Level duty you could make it a Volume Level duty which is also like a Solo Boost. A Stage 3 is also a good idea if you want a more well-rounded boost.

Nice Job and glad you got it all working. Whether it is a 3rd build or 300th build we all still make mistakes.

Matt
    Participant

Yup- the 2KJ on the volume would be a much more economical and faster solution. But after making my MegaRat I’m now hooked on boosting Rats. This sounds so good when it’s goosed!! Decisions to be made.

Cybercow

Love the homage to Pinky & the Brain for the Rat thang. Pretty cool. Any video demo?

Matt
    Participant

Thanks! And funny story. I do not have a video of me playing this pedal in a controlled demo environment. However right after I made it one of the guys I occasionally tech for needed a distortion on stage and only had an overdrive. I happened to have this with me, he tried it and dug it. So I took a video during the show. I’ll have to dig it off of my laptop but it’s pretty cool.

Matt
    Participant

I’m getting an error message when I try to insert the clip directly into the post here. It’s about 1:30 long. Is that too much or is it the iPad making this hard? Photos seem to go right in but this video clip keeps failing.

Cybercow

Matt – it may depend on the format of the video. What format (file extension) is it? On what device did you shoot the video please?

Matt
    Participant

Here’s the youtube link. Having trouble embedding the actual video just now. This was shot on my phone from FOH at the finale of the show. I knew he was going to kick it on for his last solo as it was all coming down. This was the last song of the last show of a week long cruise in front of about 1500 fans. one of two packed shows.

Matt
    Participant

Ha! Looks like it actually did embed properly. I was working in this as I was walking out the door this morning and just now got home to look at it. Apologies for the poor quality, but hey it is what it is. We did kind of goose the guitar channel in the house that night and no one seemed to mind! Gerey has been on me to build him something ever since. We’ll eventually work something out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.