Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion The Vibe / “Uni-vibe” build plan

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sabbath Worship
    Participant

Hey everyone this is my first of two post on the forum My second will hopefully be tomorrow of a finished build from earlier in the week. As it stand I’m planning my second build with guidance from playsforfun, my question/rant to the hive mind is as follows: I’m kind of an obsessive for the originals “fuzz face” “fuzzrite” “Rangemaster” and so one, I want my builds to be ,at least in my mind, as close aesthetically as well as sonically as possible. With that said I’m interested in using The Vibe to create something as close as possible to the original Uni-vibe (“speed” expression pedal, chorus/ vibrato switch, volume/intensity pots) am I barking up the wrong tree? I understand that circuit is very different component wise but would it be posssible? Any help/info/wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I’ll take my answer from my seat in the back of the room.

Barry
    Keymaster

A Uni-vibe is actually a phaser with different components to achieve that tone you want.

Someone de-gooped a Love-poodle Vibe years ago only to discover it was a GGG phaser board with mods similar to ours.

What you could do is install our The Vibe into a Wah Shell and you would have something pretty cool.

Sabbath Worship
    Participant

So it’s not beyond the realm of possibility to add a wet/dry switch, and both a volume and intensity pot into the circuit?  It would ultimately just be figuring out where? Could you explain the function on TR1 to me?

Barry
    Keymaster

TR1 allows you top dial in the Quad set since there is going to be different tolerances.

The 45/90 Mod already in the build document would be similar to a Wet and Less Wet Mod.

You can add a Buff N Blend to the circuit on the 3PDT foot switch easily for even more Blend control.

Adding a Volume would be as simple as having a Stage 3 Booster which you would need anyway if using a Buff N Blend since the Vibe inverts the signal so you would have to place it in series with the Vibe in the Buff N Blend audio path.

If not using a Buff N Blend then it does not matter about phase inversion since then there would be no parallel signal. So again you would just insert a Stage 3 Boost after the Vibe circuit in series and voila.

If you feel you need more Vibe replication than that then you should probably look for a Vibe circuit that utilizes photocells instead albeit they are much more expensive and more complex to build. That is why I do not carry one.

Sabbath Worship
    Participant

Could I replace the toggle switch for the 45/90 mod  with a pot allowing for variables between the two?

wilkie1

Sorry, no.  The 45/90 mod is simply a switch that changes the number of phasing stages from 4 to 2.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.