Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Testing procedures (answered)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

Curious to know what your testing procedures are when dealing with board mounted pots. Specifically the Ancestral Apperition. I completed the basic board assembly a while back and had all the parts collected but I know how to mount a board with onboard pots- fit them to the enclosure first, then solder them in. However for this build I don’t have my enclosure mapped out yet and it’s a potentially large combo. I needed to test the circuit first. But the only way to do that was to solder in the pots and verb brick. Luckily everything fired up and it sounds amazing- troubleshooting would have been a nightmare. My challenge now will be fitting the pots- but that’s MY problem.

What do you recommend when it comes to testing circuits with on board controls? I notice that’s a more common design feature now. It IS handy, but harder in the design stages I’m in here. Thanks!!

Cybercow

For testing circuits with onboard controls, (or even off-board controls), I use an audio probe.

When testing before boxing builds with on-board pots, I do not fully insert the pot leads into their respective mounting holes. Instead, I will lightly ‘solder-tac’ the pot leads to the pad and NOT fill the hole with solder. That allows me to easily remove the pot(s) with a bit of solder-wick and and then full insert them, before final soldering, after stuffing the drilled enclosure.

Barry
    Keymaster

Simple minor tacking is what I do just like Cybercow said. Whether using an on-board pot or actually in my case I tack a wired pot. Easy to remove without filling the pot pad hole. I also found you can use a cut piece of a cheap IC socket and use just one side (not the more expensive tooled one) and use that as a socket to push the Reverb Brick right in there and it will fit snugly. I would not suggest that as a permanent solution but it does work well.

Matt
    Participant

Many thanks fellas. This ones too far gone for that but the trend towards on board pots seems inescapable. I do like the idea of tacking in some wired pots for testing. My next one will go that route. Now to figure out what to do with this AA. To combo or not to combo. I have my Hot Chili and Muff OA ready to test. If one of them plays nicely it may bunk up permanently. I played it with another Muff last night and it was great. But then I have this Blues Power just sitting here waiting on parts…

Barry
    Keymaster

the trend towards on board pots seems inescapable.

Unfortunately I actually have had many people complain in PMs about boards that do not have on-board pots so they do not have to hand strip wiring for each pot. If I try to contest that point then it always comes back that if people really want to hand wire they still can using an on-board pot pad. It’s hard to overcome that. I have not had a complaint for the reverse unless this counts 😉 That is why I now have to consider each board.

That said if there are more than 3-4 pots we go through a ritual to decide if they will be on-board or not. The Sunn-T for example will never be on-board. (We don’t want to force people to put their pots were we think they should be) and I personally have no issue hand stripping wires for pots since even with 5 pots I can cut 15 wires, strip them and solder to all 5 pots in about 10 minutes or less. I will admit if I were making production runs that it would become a pain.

Matt
    Participant

Ha! This is hardly a complaint. Think of it more like the grumbling of us old dudes when we have to figure out a new social media just to keep up. It’s obviously better or people wouldn’t do it, right? And I’ve been hand wiring my pots against the instructions for a little while. But I did a few mounted and it WAS more convenient. I did like putting my controls where I felt like and I still can. I just wondered how to tech them if it didn’t fire up on the first try. I could imagine it being a problem for some people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart