Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Swah case ground (solved)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have built the Swah  and the electronics work well, but once I mount everything in the case I have a problem.
    With all items mounted, expect the input and output connectors, I still works well, but once I mount the jack connectors to the case, there is no sound anymore.
    So when the case is grounded through the sleeves of the jack connectors, sound disapaers.

Is this normal and should I use insulated jack connectors? Or is this caused by another problem that should be solved before grounding the case through the jack connectors?

Thanks for the help.

Robin

Barry
    Keymaster

If we could see pictures it would probably help so we can better say yes this or no that.

It sounds like it could be a ground issue for sure. It also could be from a cold solder joint related to one of the grounds.

Cold solder joints are hard for us to discover but you have tools to check. First look for dull solder joints and re-flow them. Make sure there is no paint on the inside of the enclosure where the jacks connect and if there is just scratch it away best as you can. Use a DMM to check for continuity us the Diagram from our Crash Course Guide located in the guides section under Tips Tricks and Tutorials. It is a sticky at the top. Alternately there is a big green guide button on the home page or on the main forum page.

Let us know how you make out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, Barry.

Because the problem (no sound, even no noise) occurred when the jacks (grounded sleeves) were mounted on the case, I started looking for continuity between circuit and case, resulting in a grounded signal once the jack connectors were installed. With a DMM I found that pin 9 of IC1 was connected somehow to the case. Only logical explanation was that it was connected to the case through the connection of potmeter P1. I increased the distance between potmeter connections and case, and the problem was solved.

The Swah is easy to use and sounds really nice on my bass. I can’t wait to select and start a next project.

Barry
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting back and enjoy your new pedal.  🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.