Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support SUPER SONIC 02, how to ‘support’ the PCB

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carlo
    Participant

Hi there, I’m new to this Forum; I’m a Musikding’s customer based in ITALY.
    Could you please tell me how can I ‘support’ the SUPER SONIC PCB?
    There are not holes for standoff……the pots have not soldering lugs……all seems to need to be wired: 3PDT, pots, jacks, etc
    Thanks in advance.

sofnwhat
    Participant

in most cases, the connected pots and switches hold things in place well enough.  Barry’s hookup wire (24 guage) is just rigid enough to pull this off well.  i have also used velcro in cases where i wanted to secure the board to the enclosure.

–rp

Carlo
    Participant

Probably I’ll use solid core wires to connect the pots (which are not the ones you can solder straight to the PCB)
    Thanks -rp

Barry
    Keymaster

From the Guides Page:

https://guitarpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Combo-Build-Wiring-Tutorial.pdf

or use some non-conductive double sided adhesive if you need to.

Carlo
    Participant

My question is: why didn’t they simply provide two holes for the standoff?
    It would have been easier
    However I can drill the PCB by myself; there is some room in the ‘airplane’ area.
    Thanks to everyone who spent some of their time to help me.

Billy

I’ve rarely come across any PCB supplier that provides holes for standoffs these days even those with no onboard pots or switches because as you know most pcbs have layers and via traces etc so putting a fairly large standoff hole in it just means more layout work and a larger pcb

I personally don’t use them and have never had to with the many gpcb circuits I’ve built

I tend to keep my wiring very short and to avoid anything shorting on the enclosure I line it with kids craft foam and have never had a problem I also never use solid core wire

I wouldn’t advise drilling it with the potential for cracks etc

I’ve built this circuit and the 3 wired pots held it in place securely no problem they barely move if your wiring is nice and short

Obviously everyone has their own preference I rarely use onboard pots I like to wire them in to give me a little flexibility on pot placement

This is the foam I use

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282978430287

I’ve built and sold in excess of 500 pedals and never had any problems or returns using this method

Carlo
    Participant

Thank you so much Billy for your detailed post; I have to admit…some of my circuits are ‘messy’ when I have to solder lot of wires; that’s why I like onboard pots (e.g.).
    So…this could be a motivation for me to improve my wiring technique.
    We have quite lot “spaghetti” in ITALY, so it’s time to keep my wires shorter and neat.
    Foam probably is better than solid core…..and yes, you’r right….drilling the PCB could damage it.
    Thanks again!

Billy

Haha Carlo

I definitely never said my wiring was neat

Passable maybe! your men for really neat, tidy wiring jobs are Cybercow and Playsforfun I think Barry linked his combo build PDF,  now that’s neat!

Barry
    Keymaster

As the guy who approves board design I think I can make sunshine with a small anecdote.

I think this is a good teaching moment for anyone reading.

Back in the 60’s and 70’s pedals were unnecessarily HUGE! The size of EHX and Colorsound enclosures would take up the space of 2-3 pedals today on a pedal board.

Then along came a company named MXR who established themselves as a leader by the small SIZE of their pedals which likewise required much smaller circuit board designs than EHX or Colorsound.

MXR for their small pedals did not use stand offs.

Today board size is even more precious.

Many people want to cram 4, 5 and 6 knob circuits into a tiny 1590B enclosure.

At the end of the day the best way to sell more circuit boards is to make them as small as possible.

The only cost for the customer is that you use proper wire dressing to hold the board in place (just like MXR did) or simply use a piece of double sided adhesive.

That is why the few boards we sell which do not have on-board pots do not use stand offs. The majority today want tiny boards more than they want stand-offs. That has been the unwritten law for at least the last 15 years. That would also be why the major PCB people like myself all do pretty much the same thing.

So for comparison here is a photo of an all GuitarPCB build with at least 13 circuits in one enclosure not much bigger than a single Colorsound Power Boost pedal.

That said most of our boards include on-board potentiometers anyway.

I hope that helps.

Billy

And then there’s these you definitely need to be slightly mad to attempt an SMD build don’t know how many components I’ve lost blowing them right off with my hot air gun before I thought maybe I should turn it down a bit

And no it didn’t fire up right away it seems even with modern stuff the old dry joint stops technology in it’s tracks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.