Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Super Drive 70’s tone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JDub
    Participant

Does anyone think the Super Drive 70’s board could benefit from replacing the tone knobs with ToneTwEQ boards?  Maybe one for the fuzz stage and one for the drive stage or one at the end after the Stage 3 boost or at the beginning before the drive?  And if so how what would I need to watch out for and how would it complicate things?  I’m also considering adding a MiniMe chorus to the pedal.  I haven’t planned it out yet so I’m not even sure it would all fit, but I just wanted to ask.

Thanks!

wilkie1

You can certainly add a ToneTwEQ to the end of the first stage or the second stage if you wish.  The Super 70’s is such a versatile circuit that I would also add an ORDER SWITCHING board to reverse the order of the first two stages.  Then I would add the Tone TwEQ before the last stage.  This way you can have the Drive push the Fuzz or the Fuzz push the Drive.

Choose you own solution.  They will both work.

wilkie1

Another option would be to use a 4PDT switch to insert the TonetwEQ between the first and second stages OR between the second and third.

JDub
    Participant

Great ideas Wilkie1.  Thank you.  I like the idea of adding the order switcher, then the ToneTwEQ after stage two.  But what about the MiniMe?  Would you put that between the ToneTwEQ and stage three or after the Super Drive 70’s?

wilkie1

In general, modulation devices are normally placed after distortion and overdrive effects.  EQ is usually placed after all effects unless you wish to add EQ to a particular device upstream.  The last stage of the Super 70’s is the same as a STAGE 3 Boost.  It is a very transparent boost that provides a nice low impedance signal to amps through long cable runs.  We usually leave that ’til last.

JDub
    Participant

Excellent advise!  Than it shall be stages 1 & 2, then the chorus, the ToneTwEQ and finally the boost.  Thank you so much.  That’s really helpful!

wilkie1

Don’t forget the Easy Order Switcher!  🙂

JDub
    Participant

Oops.  You’re right.  I forgot to list that between stages 1 and 2.  It will definitely be there.  It’s going to be a very cool pedal!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.