Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support SUNN-T biasing (solved)

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Richard Hollis
    Participant

Hello,

Purchased the SUNN-T kit from PedalPartsandKits in the US and just finished the build.

The PDF guide talks about biasing the JFET’s, but what are the two measurement points?  Looks like the 4.5-5.5v voltage measurements could be drain to ground on each J201.  Or is it from just the drain to source for each J201?

Thanks for the time and help.

Rich

wilkie1

You just finished the build?  Well,  hurry up and bias those puppies so you can hear it!  Measure VDC from any ground to the Drain of each J201.  The 4.5 – 5.5V figures are a guide.  Let your ears decide what sounds best.  Enjoy!

Billy

Ooft you were fast there Ray

Just got an email notification, thought I’ll answer that before I retire and wham! Wilkie1’s got his speed skates on and I couldn’t even see the chequered flag yet!

Richard Hollis
    Participant

Thanks Wilke1,

Biased them at 5VDC drain to ground for all thee J201 that bias that way.  It lives!

Will post the video on YouTube and put a link here when done.  It got LOUD! 🙂

Richard Hollis
    Participant

Yep it works!

My humble attempt at some Drone sounds.

Tom Sibren
    Participant

Wow that sounds great!

Can’t wait to build one of these myself. Hopefully musikding will have them in stock again soon.

Barry
    Keymaster

Tom I just sent Klaus a batch and made sure I set them in front of my speakers for several hours while playing my best Doom riffs in a Drop A giving them some extra Doom mojo. I am sure they will arrive soon and be ready for you.

@ Richard: Dude that is some serious DOOM!

Richard Hollis
    Participant

Tom and Barry,

Thanks!  If you can sound like a SUNN ((O))) Model T, then had to play some SUNN ((O))) style drone with the baritone guitar in Drop A tuning.

Was asked to guest guitar on a new piece by The Red Ghouls with that guitar sound.  Here is the track, Retinal Damage:

https://bhhstuff.bandcamp.com/track/retinal-damage

Barry
    Keymaster

Holy Doom!

Sounds like if Morphine (the band) and Sleep had a baby then gave it up for adoption to King Buzzo.

This was my rig circa 1982 but the only photo I got is when I lent my Model T to the Bass player while he saved up for a new amp so my Model T is on his Ampeg and I got my spare Peavey on my Sunn 610L speaker cab which you can only see half of.

When I used my rig properly it was rocking. It was the only amp we had with enough balls to power Dave’s Ampeg so I sacrificed for a couple months.

Barry
    Keymaster

But then I ended up with this rig:

Richard Hollis
    Participant

Barry,

I call that the Halloween track for this year.

Very cool SUNN Model T amp with the Ampeg cab for bass.  Must have been great with the Peavey cab as well.

That must have been a big change going to a Marshall head and Orange cabs!

Barry
    Keymaster

Yah we were playing Led Zep, Bad Co., Jethro Tull and stuff like that so Marshall / Orange arrangement really worked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.