Home Forums Show Off Your Build Sunn-T build

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Afternoon all,

Having lurked on here for a little while I have just bitten the bullet and bought a Sunn-T kit from Musikding. There were a couple of issues with missing items, but that was very quickly resolved.

This is my first build, but I’m pretty handy with a soldering iron and due to my line of work I have meters etc., so no issues there. My only problems on the first test was the usual backwards wiring of the channel switch and that I couldn’t bias Q1 below 5.75v. The switch was an easy fix and the biasing was resolved by swapping Q1 with Q4. All are now biased at 5.5v having tested at 4.5 and 5.0v and liking this the best.

I’m running the pedal into the loop return on my Marshall DSL20H which I bought last year but was not too happy with, where this pedal has made what was an average amp truly epic (so far)! The amp has a pair of TAD EL34s and now sounds huge, even through a 1×12 cab with V30! It sustains for ever, and sounds great when kicked with my Rat clone (the RATTACK). The fuzz and Muff sound great too, but it also sounds good by itself. I’m a very happy man!

In the photo below I’m ABing into the loop and also the front of the amp as a test as you can switch out the loop, but the plan is to ABY between the Sunn-T into the Marshall loop and into the front of my Orange TH30 (you can probably guess the type of music my band plays….).

The LED works backwards (green=off, red=on) but to be honest that seems normal to me. Also, I made a water-slide decal for it but the fitting didn’t quite go to plan, so I’m currently awaiting delivery of some self-adhesive inkjet vinyl and I’ll give that a try. But, in the meantime….

wilkie1

Happy to hear you like the Sunn T.  If you want to change the LED colors, simply reverse the wiring between S4 and S6 (if you installed the LED off the main board.)  If the LED is on the main board, you will need to uninstall it and rotate it 180 degrees ( switching the 2 outer cathode wires).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why thank you! As I said it seems correct with red being on so I’ll leave it as it is. Once I get the decal sorted I’ll add a photo, and maybe an internal one too as I’ll need to drop the pots etc. out to fit the decal.

The question is now, what to build next as I quite enjoyed that!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Done! The graphic isn’t perfect but it’ll do for me….

wilkie1

This is probably the BEST FIRST build I have seen in years!  You are well on your way to being a MASTER builder!  Great construction.  Great graphics!

Now you should make a combo pedal for your next project.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Those are very kind words, thank you!

Today I had another play with bias voltages but ended up back at 5.5v as it just sounds HUUUUGE!

I’ll have a good look to see what takes my fancy to build next, though I do like the idea of a combo. I have an old V9 NYC Big Muff in a drawer that I chopped to reduce the size of the housing and then fitted a Mooer Green Mile into, wired upstream to give the Muff a kick in the pants. Both can be switched and controlled individually but run off the same supply to keep it simple. I’ll find a photo and will post it once I have the chance.

As I’m running two amps board space is at a premium but in some cases I could do with some different pedals for different amps, so maybe one large combo for each amp might be the way to go….?

wilkie1

One of the best features of combos is the space they can save on pedal boards.  Some like to rehouse existing pedals into a smaller combo configuration as you have mentioned.  Here is one I made as an example of combining multiple effects:

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s smart, and exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. Hmmm…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.