Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion SS2, G2… P2 ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I’m a VERY HAPPY user of SS2 & G2 from Gutarpcb. I was wondering if there’s a chance one day you produce a Cornishstyle P2 inspired PCB ? Anyway, it would be great to finish the trilogy !

Barry
    Keymaster

Hi,

Keep in mind we participated in a private degoop project and helped fund it.

That said the P-2 uses the exact same board as the G-2. In other words both boards say P2/G2 on it.

Since there was no noticeable sonic difference (to our ears) we did not pursue the project any further.

Basically they are so similar they are really the same. Add to that both are very much similar to the BMP.

There was a definitive sonic difference in the Super Sonic to warrant the project.

I hope that helps.

Also remember we try to avoid ™ names so to be clear our projects are similar but (not to be misinterpreted as clones) in our forum if you have further comments. We did a deep analysis in our upgraded build document of the G-02 Animal and you can read that here: https://guitarpcb.com/product/g-02-animal-cornish-style-heavy-gilmour-style-overdrive/

It is our opinion that there just is not enough of a difference to warrant the project when you can build a BMP variant with our Muff’n board and add the Buffer Board to the foot-switch or build a G-02 Animal with built in buffer and achieve a similar enough result hence why the P2/G2 circuit are created on the exact same circuit board.

Cybercow

Ratistuta – I’m still in the middle of a G-02 Animal build and with the help of Barry’s build document for that build, I was able to suss out that the G-02 Animal is basically a modified BMP with a buffer and nearly identical to the Muff’N build, just without the buffer.  I found a great analysis of the BMP on ElectroSmash and it really helped get better grasp of what the BMP, G-02 Animal and all the variants of the BMP consist.

When I built  one of Barry’s Muff’N builds, I kinda went over the top with modifications. Instead of selecting just one of the specific BMP’s to go for, I took it upon my self to do some value averaging for certain of the resistors and caps to find the build that would provide the most number of options sonically. I also took advantage of Barry’s Muff’N Mods document and incorporated every one them into my first Muff’N build. With all the options on board and the value fiddling I exercised, my “Klingon Muff” can achieve the sonic value of about 10 of the BMP variants.

Barry – I was completely unaware of the “P2”. Thank you for the continuing education.

Anonymous
    Inactive

First, thank you both for your very detailed answers. It helps a lot understanding the way it works Barry.

Behind my project of retracing Gilmour sonority from 70’s to nowadays, I want to improve my understanding of sound evolution, especially BMP subtle variations and numerous ersatz… specially after managing many builds. So this si why I was asking.

I’m going to follow your exemple Cybercow with your Klingon Muff exemple I perfectly remember, to reach a better understanding of each component sonically : this is definitely the next step for me. We have the chance to have a BMP synoptic table component values which is a great help + a socket n’ see approach for feedback. And fortunately I still have a decade of Mn’B PCB at home 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.