Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Sriracha Fuzz Question(s) – Ge Instead of Si

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cybercow

Just got my first Sriracha Fuzz PCB from Barry this weekend and as in all my builds, I study the schematics and build docs carefully before building, while collecting the components. Taking note that this Sriracha Fuzz build calls for 2N5089 BJTs, (which have a datasheet spec’d DC current gin (hFE) rating between 400 and 1200), I’ve measured the 4 I have and each has an hFE at right around 300. (I used both a GM328 tester and a Peak Atlas DCA75 to make the measurements. And they measure nearly identically.) The 2N5087s & 2N5088s I have also measure the same hFE – ~300.

My 1st question is: On what circuit is the Sriracha Fuzz based?

My 2nd question is: Has anyone built a Sriracha Fuzz using high-gain NPN NOS Ge BJTs?

I have a handful of Telefunken AC188 Ge BJTs that measure (with both test units) at ~325 hFE that I am considering for this build. Of course I will socket the BJTs, as well as the biasing resistors involved in this build. But instead of swapping out several variants of the biasing resistors, I intend to use trimpots to more quickly make adjustments.

Knowing full well the circuit is designed around Si BJTs, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Sriracha Fuzz with Ge transistors. In any case, I will report back with my results with the Ge BJTs and document my findings. With the BJTs and resistors socketed, I can easily go back and forth between the stock build with the Si BJTs and the Ge counter parts.

This is just an experiment to see how the Ge BJTs will perform. I’m also pretty sure the Ge parts will be at the mercy of temperature variations and may not stand up the reliability of Si trannies.

Any thoughts, insights and\or warnings are welcome.

Barry
    Keymaster

My 2N5089 all have very high hFE. 800 range.

I don’t see why you couldn’t try a variety of transistors.

The idea behind it was to set the Fuzz level at around 9:00 for a circuit that gave you powerful chimey rolled off cleans or go into serious Distortion/Fuzz at the turn of your guitar volume knob. Additionally if you wanted to blow the hair off your ankles turn the Fuzz full up.

Designed by Tonmann. Not sure of anything beyond that.

Transistors do make a noticeable difference.

Barry
    Keymaster

My 2N5089 all have very high hFE. 800 range.

I don’t see why you couldn’t try a variety of transistors.

The idea behind it was to set the Fuzz level at around 9:00 for a circuit that gave you powerful chimey rolled off cleans or go into serious Distortion/Fuzz at the turn of your guitar volume knob. Additionally if you wanted to blow the hair off your ankles turn the Fuzz full up.

Designed by Tonmann. Not sure of anything beyond that.

Transistors do make a noticeable difference.

wilkie1

Not many of us are lucky to have any high gain Ge trannies.  I’ll guess that the tone will be smoother.

Big O
    Participant

I believe the Siracha Fuzz is based on the Hot Silicon fuzz, a Silicon tonebender. Probably why it was first named the Hot Chilicon.  I switched out most or maybe all of the 5089’s and replaced them with lower gain transistors, and it sounds a lot better to my ears.  Also the bias control is more effective with the lower gain transistors.  I can’t remember what I used exactly, but I know there are 2n3904 and S9013 transistors around 100 HFE in the circuit.  Maybe also a 2n2222 as well.

Cybercow

Barry; Wilikie1; Big-O – thanks for your insights and feedback.

Big O
    Participant

Below is the schematic for the Hot Silicon.  Credit goes to the author of this schematic, Doug Hammond.  Apparently this is based on Aron Nelson’s Hot Fuzz.

Checking with the schematic from the Hot Chilicon that I built, the only differences are that C4 is 47u in the Chilicon and there is a trimpot at Q3.  I opened my Hot Chilicon and the transistors I ended up changing to are 2N3094’s at Q1 and Q2 with HFE’s around 100, a 2N2222 at Q3 with slightly greater than 200 HFE and a 2N5088 at Q4, HFE around 400.  The fuzz sounds slightly nastier depending upon how you bias it than when using all 2n5089’s.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.