Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Sriracha Fuzz – Guitar Volume howl

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Garland
    Participant

Hey guys, long time no post – I just finished the Sriracha and it sounds amazing and functions perfectly – except for when I volume back to 0 on my guitar the pedal hisses at me. Was curious if this was a standard feature/side effect of the fuzz build or maybe I have something wrong? Did it on 2 guitars.

I’m guessing it’s just the nature of the beast.

Pat

Barry
    Keymaster

Pat it is not a feature. You have a build issue.

The Sriracha Fuzz has been around forever since it was originally the Hot Chillicon and also the Fuzz portion of the Super Drive 70’s and I would never allow something like that as a feature.

I suggest you follow the normal debugging steps.

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Interesting – let me double check my values and see if I sub’d anything – shouldn’t have anything too off as I was going for a clean cut build on it and really kept the parts selection tight

Ill get back asap!

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Soldering, wiring ok. Parts all ok – I do have a 2.7k instead of 2.2k for R11 but Idk if that would affect it.

The real issue isn’t as much a howl as it is a hiss – just gets worse as I have the volume on 0 and goes away as I increase to 1+.

I’ll get some build pics and a video of the noise for reference.

Barry
    Keymaster

Voltages and Pics would be most helpful.

What transistors did you use specifically as well and exact type.

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Let me get some voltages etc, pics for you today –

all 2n5088s, same batch order I use on all of my other pedals with no issues. But of course I am skeptical of any substitutes. Should I try with 5089s as called for?

Will grab some pics asap – no rush on this one currently as it is purely a ‘for fun’ project for me

Thanks for quick help as usual, Barry!

Cybercow

Patrick – typically, 2N5088 and 2N5089 are interchangeable. On the datasheet for those you can see the gain is just bit higher for the 2N5089s. The 2N5088 trannies should be fine.

Barry
    Keymaster

Pictures and voltages should be much more revealing.

Cybercow

Patrick – Considering that rolling off the guitar’s volume to ZERO takes the signal input to ground, It should not be an issue.

I suspect a bad ground. With the guitar volume at zero, if there’s a bad ground, it (the ungrounded guitar) can act like an antenna.

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Looks like 5089 may have solved the issue! I’ll do some testing vs the 5088s and see what it does. Already seems to be functioning better and operating with better volume roll off as well as less hiss.

That’s what I get for subbing! lol

Cybercow

Patrick – looking forward to seeing if the 2N5088 trannies were the issue. I’ve never built a Sriracha fuzz, still I’m interested in the comparison.

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Me too! I have tons of 5088s so it’s unfortunate that it may be the cause of the issue, but if it needs 5089 to run properly then so be it! I’ll do some more testing and verify the change. I definitely felt the volume roll off was much better this time – which is a big feature of the classic tonebender.

Patrick Garland
    Participant

Wow this thing is killer – I added a toggle to C7 – .01uf or .0039uf for extra bright setting – really opens the tone knob up big time.

Played through about half of Nirvana’s Bleach on it haha must build more

wilkie1

From your understated comments, I gather that you really like your pedal now? 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.