Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Sonic tonic issue (solved)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 3 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Lilian
    Participant

Hello, as it’s said in the title i’ve built the sonic tonic pedal and it doesn’t work. LED is lighting, but there is no sound.
    I did not solder all parts. R1 and D1 are not. The socket of the little IC is in the wrong way but the IC is well oriented.

Thanks for help !

Barry
    Keymaster

Welcome on board!

R1 (1k) must be installed. This creates a break in the circuit. See schematic for visual.

The wiring job looks great!

Lilian
    Participant

Ok thanks ! I’ll try this tonight ! What do you think of the out jack wiring ?

Lilian
    Participant

R1 and D1 are soldered. It doesn’t work and the LED stay red.

Lilian
    Participant

I found the guide ! It’s interesting and should have helped me. I’ll use it next time

Billy

Aha now I see it and understand how you’ve confused it being a beginner

Sometimes the beginners eye is better than the more experienced I read and re read the build document and still missed it!

So well done for finding that error now and again with the number of build documents an error slips through albeit rarely thanks for bringing it to our attention

Again it does demonstrate that reading the guides is very important because I’m more experienced I would have compared it to the schematic and quickly realised R1 was at the input and the on board CLR (current limiting resistor) was R23

I’ve started updating the components guide so I’ll now include a section on schematics so thank you for the idea Lilian

Lilian
    Participant

You’re welcome !
    I have finished my pedal, but i would have your opinion. When I switch it on (or off), it crackle in my amp. Is it normal ?

THanks !

Barry
    Keymaster

No that is not normal.

Lilian
    Participant

Ok, have you an idea about what to check ? I also have a problem on the bicolor LED. The green color lights but the red doesn’t. It worked well before I close the enclosure. Is there a link ?
    Thanks

Billy

When exactly does it crackle just when you switch it on and off or in general when you’re playing through it turning pots etc

There are many things that can make it crackle from cables to jacks power supplies etc bad connections on pots dry solder joints faulty components and so on

You can do the wiggle test to try to locate exactly where it’s coming from use a pencil or something non conductive and gently tap on the components and wires to locate the source and hopefully rectify it

You can test your LED in place using a 3v coin cell battery just slide it in between the legs + to the middle pin and – to the outer pins to see if it illuminates if it was working prior to putting it in your enclosure make sure the pins aren’t touching any bare metal parts

Barry
    Keymaster

+1 to what Billy said. There are just so many possible reasons for this issue.

Since we cannot examine the physical pedal, foot switch, cables etc… you will have to test every possible angle starting with the ones Billy points out. It could be any one of those and possibly more. Having an LED go bad when you put it in the case but works outside the case sounds like something is shorting to metal to me. As for the crackle noise, everything Billy mentioned.

Lilian
    Participant

Everything is ok ! Two LED legs were in touch at its base ! As i opened the enclosure I realize that it does not crackle anymore. I have also inverted potentiometer position and wiring because it was soldered backwards.

Thanks for your precious help !

Barry
    Keymaster

Excellent I am glad you found the problem!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart