Home Forums Show Off Your Build Some Folks Just Can’t Leave Well Enough Alone

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chuck
    Participant

Okay, I got a little bored and maybe a little creative, very little.  What happens when you combine a SHO ‘Nuff, a GBOF and a DPDT board?  You end up with a simple boost with 4 pots and a switch.  I think I may call this one the Hot Mess.  The SHO ‘Nuff by itself is pretty close to an overdrive but lacks a tone control so I added a Big Muff Pi Tonestack built on a GBOF and because almost all the overdrives I’ve built have some form of diode switching I added a DPDT switch and board with a pair of 2N7000s on one side and a trio of germanium diodes (allegedly 1N34As but they don’t look right) on the other side.  With the Crackle maxed and the volume dropped way down it gives a pretty respectable growl with single coils and pretty much screams with humbuckers.  It will also make a Blues Breaker scream for mercy – haven’t tried it with other ODs yet.

Here’s the face:

And the guts (see what I mean by Hot Mess?):

Signal goes from the switch to the GBOF In then from GBOF Out to SHO ‘Nuff In – I knew there’d be some volume drop but thought it would be less noticeable going into the boost than coming out.  The BMP Tonestack doesn’t do a whole lot but the body control is noticeable.  At some point I may change it over to Jack’s Version 2 with a larger tone pot and much wider spread of cap and resistor values.

Chuck

Barry
    Keymaster

Very nice and thanks for sharing. It is always great to see someone making good use of the GBOF boards. There is so much to be done with them and this is a great example.

Cybercow

Nice combo! Is that a trapezoid shaped enclosure or just the camera angle please?

Billy

Looks good to me for a hot mess it’s not that messy at all, the GBOF is a great little board I like your use of it

Chuck
    Participant

Cybercrow, the box is a Hammond trapezoid from Mouser.  It’s a left over from a reboxed build.  Had to use JB Weld to fill a couple of inconvenient holes before drilling some more.

Billy, Hot Mess includes my thought process (or lack thereof) and use of a lot of recycled parts.  It doesn’t look messy because I’m good at tucking wiring out of sight.  I definitely could have added a little more space between the boards – it’s not like I didn’t have much room to play with.

Chuck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.