Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Simple Question (I hope)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am building an Animato pedal (my second).  I want to eliminate the switch, as it really does nothing.  How would I wire this to eliminate the switch? I was thinking about just wiring the leads for S1/SW4 together with those for SW2/SW5.  Yes?  No?

wilkie1

Looking at the vero, it appears that the switch in the UP position connects SW2 with SW1, SW4, SW5 and GROUND.

In the DOWN position it connects SW2 with SW3 and SW5 with SW6.  So I would think that if you short SW2 with SW3 and SW5 with SW6 you can eliminate the switch.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am ashamed to admit it, but I have no idea how to wire it in the way you explain it.  How do I short SW2 and SW5 if I am not installing the switch?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Let me ask it differently.  If I just wire SW1/SW4 to SW2, SW5 and ground, is that OK?

Here is the schematic it that matters.

wilkie1

The vero does not show a connection marked for SW3.  But it is the same as the connection marked “dist_a 1 and dist_b 1”.  So if you soldered sw2 and sw5 together and then connected them to “dist-a 1 and dist_b 1, you would eliminate the switch.

HOWEVER!  Looking at the schematic, I see that the function of the switch is to bypass the first distortion stage created by Q4 and Q5.  Doing so also renders the pot labeled Dist_A unusable.

Therefore, I think that the switch is necessary to provide the dual distortion attribute of this pedal.  Bypassing it will make the pedal less interesting.

wilkie1

One further point.  You can just leave the switch out completely without shorting any wires and you will have both distortion stages functioning.  You just won’t be able to bypass the first stage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wilkie:  Thanks for this.  I will post a follow-up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.