Home Forums Show Off Your Build Shag Rug – Super 70s + Emerald Ring

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hey everyone, check out the Shag Rug, a psychedelic 70’s tone machine.  This was a fun build, and with some help from Barry and google, I was able to get everything sounding great!  In addition to adding the octave circuit in between the Fuzz and Boost circuits, I also modified the clipping section of the overdrive, as well as the transistors in the fuzz (that’s where Barry and google came into play).

For the overdrive circuit, I used my go-to clipping configuration of a GE diode driving a MOSFET in both directions, giving the overdrive an amp-like quality that I just love.  For the fuzz, I had run out of 5089’s and wanted to try something different.  I had some BC239C transistors that I had picked up, but when I tested something was wrong.  I tried some different things and then posted on the Forum for help.  I was thinking about it more and decided to google the pinouts of the transistors and realized that the BC239s were the opposite pinout as the prescribed transistors.  Realizing my mistake, I set about the arduous and patience-testing job of removing the 4 transistors and flipping them to be the correct orientation for the circuit. Once tested, I returned to the forum to cancel my post when I saw the Barry had already responded, confirming my finding.  (this was almost 11pm at night mind you!)

Here is the final product, the Shag Rug –

I like to dream, yes, yes Right between the sound machine. On a cloud of sound I drift in the night.
    Why don’t you come with me little girl, On a magic carpet ride.

:-p

Barry
    Keymaster

Looks fantastic Chris and thanks for sharing. I bet the Emerald ring is an excellent addition to the combo.

I might consider trying that myself on a foot switch for just that moment of extraordinary squeal.

Cybercow

Sweet! Nicely done!

wilkie1

Love the graphics too!

Chris
    Participant

Thanks guys!

The octave is a great addition to this circuit!  I thought about wiring it within the Fuzz loop so that it was only accessible from there….but why not leave the options open ended? hehe  Barry, having it on a footswitch would be really nice, I may try to work that out if I do another for someone.

Barry
    Keymaster

“hehe Barry, having emerald ring on a footswitch would be really nice, I may try to work that out if I do another for someone.”

I am not sure but I am thinking a foot switch may fit right where you have the toggle switch now without bumping the other switches during activation especially if you put one of those Foot Switch Toppers on it?

Chris
    Participant

hmm, it may…thats a nice idea! That would be interesting to see if i could pull that off (it woulda prob been easier had I centered the toggle switch hole between the text…doh!). It would be real cool if it were one of those flexi-switches that is momentary if you hold it, and latches if you click it – that would be awesome for that moment of shriekery lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.