Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Sabotage Circuit – Resistor Values

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Everyone -I ordered the sabotage circuit to build a Boost/OD combo with the SHO Nuff and an order switcher, and have a question about the resistor values. Are there any sensitive/critical values in there that I should <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>NOT</span> deviate from? I have a lot of resistor values to select from in my stash, but a couple (I cannot remember which ones though, ha) I had to pick the nearest values. I think it might have been R25 and R26, I had 2M instead of 2M2. I think. Just curious if there are any specific values in this circuit that need to be absolutely what they are. I am guessing not, but wanted to see.

The demo for this circuit sounds awesome. I am currently running a MKC after Ross comp into a Sans Amp Deluxe BDDI then into my tweed champ. It sounds great to me, but the MKC gain is not always the sound I am after, so thinking that this would be a good addition.

Also, what do you think of that combo – SHO Nuff into the Sabotage? Too much? Good/Not Good match?

Barry
    Keymaster

2M is not critical but you will have to be more specific with other changes.

As for the Boost every persons rig is going to sound completely different so you will have to test and see first. Such a simple concept of order and gain mapping your pedal board makes a world of difference as well.

My opinion is to place a more transparent Booster like the Stage 3 (currently on limited special w/ Free J113) and use it after the Sabotage so you do not blow out the input on the Sabotage since it is already using a booster in the first stage. All you will end up doing is creating more noise IMHO. By placing a quality clean boost like the Stage 3 after the circuit you will then enhance the circuit being fed to it.

Here are a few videos to help:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ll keep that in mind, thank you. I do like the sound of the SHO/DIST combo near the end of the PGS video linked below. Andy rocks at selling a sound.

Barry
    Keymaster

The nice thing about That Pedal Show is they are not trying to sell anything and do a tremendous amount of hard work in the education of how things work and sound department. They also stress there are no right or wrongs however I can tell you with certainty that the Headroom is already maxed at the 1st stage of the Sabotage and I would not want to drill it with more because it would end up being mostly noise and severe compression. That said if you want to enhance what is coming out of the Sabotage I have very successfully used the Stage 3 without adding compression or noise. These are not the type of lessons I get from a PGS or Pete Thorn demo except realizing they are amazing players and make most any pedal sound tremendous. This is my opinion that you asked for and I encourage you to test before committing to an enclosure. Maybe you will like it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like TPS, they demo pedals through boutique rigs mostly though, which doesn’t really help me understand how something will sound through my setup. I do like that they go through the various settings of the pedals during the show though, that is very helpful in helping me understand what the circuit does.

Do you have a demo of the sabotage circuit going through the range of each of its controls?

Barry
    Keymaster

Not with my current setup.

The best result is to use your knowledge and ears for what works best for you.

Build both boards and test them in either order or better yet use one of our Easy Order Switching Boards.

That is my opinion that you requested and of course it is all subjective based on our ears and rigs anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I definitely plan to incorporate an order switcher, I have a couple of your boards, thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can you help me understand how the two highlighted sections affect the first stage? I understand the first part is the range control; is the lower part of that first section adjusting the upper cutoff frequency of a low-pass filter? What is the path through the lonely 4n7 cap doing?

For the second portion (in the orange box), is this just a HF filter for the emitter side of the transistor? Maybe you can point me to a resource that would help me understand the sections of each of the gain stages in this pedal more clearly?

Billy

Here’s a useful general run down on boost and distortion circuits

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sj33FDgVfUSDR3NFBwam54Uzg/view?usp=sharing

Looking at the schematic parts the first part looks like an NPN treble booster they either route through the 4n7 for treble or the 68Nf for Mids / Bass in conjunction with the Range pot wired as a variable resistor and it’s positon and resistance

The second part would set the gain of Q1 I believe, although I couldn’t tell you why it has both series and paralell resistors in conjunction with C5

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for that, Billy, I’ll have a look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.