Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Rototone Switch Drill Hole Size

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Big O
    Participant

Finished drilling my enclosure for a combo build after hours of designing and layout.  The left upper hole is for a Rototone switch.  I thought the correct hole size should be like that for a 16mm  pot (9/32 inch) but it is too small in caliber.  Checked with the hole for an LED bezel (5/16 inch) and that is still too small.  Then I tried the 3/8 inch hole for the 1/4 inch jack and that is too large.  Maybe an 11/32 inch or 21/64 inch size bit?  I didn’t see a bit size on the instructions.

Barry
    Keymaster

Looks like 6mm.

Big O
    Participant

I was talking about the threaded base above which the switch shaft protrudes.  The shaft appears to be around 6mm, which will fit a 1/4 inch hole.  However, the threaded base of the switch is about 8.5mm (0.335 inch) by my estimates (I was too lazy to dig out my calipers which are buried deep in a closet).  After resetting up my drilling rig and changing up the step bits, It fits perfectly through a 11/32 (0.344 inch) hole.  I do not have a metric step bit, unfortunately, which would be helpful, but the standard US bit gets me close enough.

So the answer is 11/32 inch for the Rototone threaded base for those who don’t have metric drill bits and would like to know the hole size.  Just something to add to the general knowledge base.

Now on to assembling the pedal, which will take awhile due to it’s complexity (for me).  Hopefully I will have it done in a couple of weeks, but I have my first post-pandemic trip coming up and that may delay the completion by another month or so.

Barry
    Keymaster

So 8mm since 11 X .79 = 8.69mm. I am imagining the whole you drilled has a very slight amount of play.

I will add all this info to the docs.

Thank you Big O

Big O
    Participant

You are correct Barry.  Minimal play with the 11/32 inch hole size, but snug enough to be serviceable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.