Home Forums General Rototone Question

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wilkie1 6 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Robert Paul
    Participant

I have a few Rototone boards I purchased awhile ago to use in projects, but haven’t used them yet.  I have the original, not the deluxe version.

Can one stack one Rototone board with another for clipping purposes?  I would like to use the Rototone for 4 different symmetical clipping diode pairs primarily.  I was wondering if I can stack another Rototone with 4 single diodes that goes to the input of the diode pair Rototone board in order to get 20 different types of symmetric or asymmetrical clipping combinations.  I would put the single clipping diode Rototone board on a switch so I could add it or take it out of the clipping circuit.

Would adding a single diode (from the switched Rototone board) to the input of the diode pair Rototone board result in 2 diodes in series for the first diode position of the diode pair and therefore providing asymmetrical clipping?  I assume the solder pads are connected in a parallel fashion, correct?

Cybercow

I can never wrap my head around multiple switching configurations without drawing them out on paper first. In your shoes, I’d continuity check the pads and connection points of the Roto-Tone PCBs to be sure of the ins & outs and draw it out. Your concept comes off as sound, and it can likely work if wired properly. I’m reasonably sure it can be done, I’d just draw it all out first.

wilkie1

I agree with Cybercow.  You should draw this circuit out so you can visualize how the switching would work.  Post it here if you wish and we will offer our advice.  I think I have an idea of what you seek, but I will wait and see what you come up with.  🙂

Robert Paul
    Participant

Ask and you shall receive.  I believe below is how one would draw out the schematic.

wilkie1

That is exactly what I thought you were contemplating.  With the SPDT switch, you have 20 combinations.  Without, you have 16.

Bravo!  Let us know what diodes you end up using and which combinations pleased you the most.

wilkie1

But, I don’t think it will work electrically.  The first single diode would be blocking one half of the signal phase from reaching the diode pair.  Instead of one half of the signal going through the diodes in the same orientation and the other half of the signal going through the other, you would be blocking one half completely.

Robert Paul
    Participant

Wilkie, you are absolutely correct.  Duh, on my part!  The switched single diodes preceding the diode pairs would act as a half rectifier.  I suspect there is really no way using the Rototone to add or subtract a diode to the diode pairs to effect a switched asymmetrical/symmetrical clipping situation.  I believe even running the the single diode and diode pair Rototones in parallel rather than in series wouldn’t work either.

wilkie1

I have an idea for a solution.  I’ll sketch it out and post shortly.

wilkie1

Robert Paul
    Participant

Thanks for your input.  I already thought of that one.  I wanted something a little more versatile.  I can’t think of any other way to do it, unfortunately.  I don’t know if the symmetrical/asymmetrical switching does much anyway, since to my ears most dirt is dirt.  I must have at least 20-30 dirt pedals and listening and comparing one to another (which I have done in the past) there doesn’t seem to be a lot of difference, except maybe for some of the more crazier fuzz sounds.  But when it come to OD and Distortion pedals, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of difference to me when it comes to the basic dirt of the pedal, although the different circuits tend to color the sound in different ways.

wilkie1

This is a good exercise for all of our readers.  I agree that the differences can be subtle.   If you try 20 different combinations, you may narrow that down to 3 or 4 that you will use.  This type of switching is very useful for the selection process.  I think Barry probably has the best ears for discerning the subtle differences.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart