Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Ratt Deluxe squeal (solved)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All. I’m having a problem with squealing on my the ratt pedal I just finished. Video and gut shot attached. I’m very new to guitar pedal building, but have a technical background (just not in electrical). I can only troubleshoot using “continuity” mode via my multimeter, so I can’t provide voltages, etc. I can hear the distortion as the pedal is intended to make, and it sounds great, but with background squeal. Squeal becomes more acute when the pedal is in bypass.

Further, the parts I received in the kit were for the ORIGINAL Rat pedal, not what was listed from guitarpcb.com.

Hopefully, it’s an obvious fix. Thanks and hit me up with any questions. Jeremy

wilkie1

First, I think I see that you have the Board Out wired to the wrong pad on the OUT of the board.  The small “T” designates the tip wire that needs to be wired to the BO on the 3PDT

Check this and then we can look for the squeal.  That is usually a sign of oscillation in the IC.  I also think that the TR1 is turned fully clockwise which should not be necessary.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you for the tip. Fixed the out wiring, and one change has occurred. In bypass, I now get a buzz, rather than a squeal. I still get the squeal when engaged.

wilkie1

OK.  You may have a bad or incomplete ground.  Please check all ground connections.  Remove power and the IC and transistor (you DID use sockets?).  Resolder all joint and then restore components and power.  Retest and report if you are getting signal through in both bypass and effect settings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So…..I also mixed up the tip and sleeve wiring job. I used visual cues from the instructions rather than the labels. Thanks for you help! The Rat is running! 🐀

wilkie1

Thanks for letting us know that you solved your issues.

The worst thing we experience here is not hearing back when a problem is solved.  The best thing we hear is a happy pedal builder that is going to build another one!

Cheers!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.