Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Quick LED question (answered)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

Sorry- this is simple and I’m just having a short circuit internally. I’m repurposing a circuit and need to use the 3pdt daughter board but mount the led on the main board. Do I need to hook up S4 and 6? I know S5 is ground but just checking. In all of my GPCB builds I’m not sure I’ve ever actually completed one without the 3pdt board, and I’m pretty sure I’ve mounted my led on it every time. Thanks!

Billy

The S4, 5 and 6 pads are all ground using a common anode bi colour LED

S4 grounding the LED in effects mode usually the green side  and S6 on power up and bypass usually the red side

I personally wouldn’t use the 3PDT board and just wire it up as shown in the build doc without the 3PDT board it’ll still be neat with Barry providing ground pads for the jacks at the board IN and OUT and the S grounds for the LED

Obviously make sure you mount your CLR on the main board too

Barry
    Keymaster

+1 what Billy said. Unless you need the extra pads for add-on boards or a combo.

Here is a photo to go along with what he said. Note the S4, S5 and S6 pads are coordinated with the foot switch lug numbers that are also numbered on the diagram for convenience and as Billy said the only reason we use S6 is when we use a Bi-Color Led to show the Status of the pedal in “OFF” mode. Many Pro’s on dark stages love that feature especially when not standing near their pedalboard.

Note this diagram and many other guides can be found in the Guides section of the forum.

The note above is for anybody reading. CLICK HERE TO GO TO GUIDES PAGE.

Matt
    Participant

Cheers. I was pretty toasted from finishing up a couple projects and starting on enclosures after midnight. I put the led in the main board but no CLR. I’m sure that was it. When I head down tomorrow I’ll swap it for a fresh one and a resistor and I’m sure it will be fine. And it is part of a combo. It’s a Plexi Plus and a Stage 3, albeit my last S3 with built in switch pads. This poor Plexi has been rehoused numerous times- I’ll tell the story when I finally post its build tale this week.

Matt
    Participant

This is so close to done. But I’m not getting my LED from the main board while powered by the daughter board. By my understanding it’s because the grounds aren’t connected to the switch at all. Is there any way to do this short of jumping them from my switch to the S4/S6 pads?

Barry
    Keymaster

Yes you can wire the LED independently to the foot switch.

The only way for the Main Board to work in conjunction with the foot switch is by using the jumpers which is only two wires for a standard LED and three for a Bi-Color. Even if you are using the 3PDT wiring board (cannot see the problem) it is easy to just tack each wire to the exposed lugs in the center accordingly. This is why I added Lug Numbers to the 3PDT wiring board drawing as a reference to S4, S5 & S6.

Matt
    Participant

Copy. Sorry I missed that in the drawing. I’ll do that tonight and finally be done with this one. Thank you. Normally I’d just dump my daughter board and rewire but I didn’t so here I am. My apologies for the goofballery. Hopefully this ends here.

Matt
    Participant

That did it. This is not my favorite build aesthetically. It sounds great, but I’ve been plagued with problems on my end and have rehoused this several times over several years. It’s ugly inside. Hopefully my buddy likes it and never needs to open it. I’ll post it in the other thread tonight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart