Home Forums Show Off Your Build PlexiRebel Road King – 2 Channels, Boost, Verb & Speaker Sim

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look at my new monster – the Plexi Rebel Road King – Dual British Preamp & Reverb Sans-Amp Rambleboard.  This combo came out of the idea to create a 2 channel “amp” for gigging/recording in different situations.  I had previously included a speaker simulator circuit in a different pedal for situations where live amps aren’t allowed or in emergency situations where an amp fails, so I included that in the event that a DI signal is the only option.

The pedal features the PlexiPlus w/ToneTweq & KOTB circuits.  All transistors used were J201 to make for a more consistent single-amp-2-channel sound. I was able to wire them as 2 switchable channels via a 2 Knob Job, which then feeds an Afterblaster to provide boost for either circuit. The boost is footswitchable, has an external volume control and a trimpot to adjust the bias if needed.  The signal then goes to a 3pdt easy wiring board to control a switchable FX loop located on the rear of the pedal.  The FX loop then goes into a Radium Springs Spring reverb circuit. From the Reverb, the signal then goes to the normal output as well as the speaker simulator circuit, which has it’s own dedicated DI output.  This was a really long, but extremely satisfying build and it came out better than I could have expected.  Thanks for checking out the PlexiRebel Road King!! Happy building!

The Blue labelled, Gold-topped knobs control the PlexiPlus and the ToneTwEQ, the Orange labelled, Silver-topped knobs control the KOTB (Rebel).

Thanks for looking!

Chris
    Participant

I don’t know if there is a length issue or a # of pictures issue, but this is the 4th time I tried to post this – lol  Adding the pictures i left out, below

Playsforfun

Magnificent execution. The 9v  pass through is a great idea!

wilkie1

Beautifully done!  A Master piece of work!

Cybercow

Wow! Nicely done and excellent build journal.

sofnwhat
    Participant

Ramble on!

Chris
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!

Barry
    Keymaster

Wow that is your best yet I believe!

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Regarding posting pictures I believe there is a 10MB cap per post on uploading.

So do the extra 9v and GND pads we provide ever come in handy?

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Barry! I think it is my best yet as well.

Do the extra 9v and GND pads come in handy, you ask?
    ALL. THE. TIME. haha

speaking of…i would like to advocate for another 9v on the Afterblaster…..hehe  😉

Barry
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input.

I already have the Afterblaster ready.

I have added a biasing trimmer which you can kind of see here but only two +9v pads.

Chris
    Participant

NICE!  The bias trim pot is a nice addition to fine tune, or if you like to try different Qs, and I love all the skinny switch holes, less solder needed.  No worries on the 9v, I’ll just do what I do now and tie two wires together leaving one lead long enough to go through the hole in the board.

I’m excited to see all you’ve been working on as it gets released!

sofnwhat
    Participant

i have to add again, the rambleboard is a masterpiece.  what size enclosure is that?  i have a similar project in mind to help me jam at a friend’s house.

Chris
    Participant

Thanks a lot! I’m glad you like it, and I hope it gives you some ideas! And it really is great to be able to switch between the two drives with a single click.

This is a 1590D size box.  It’s basically 3 125’s side by side or 2 DD’s stacked.  I use those so I can stand boards upright (or downright, i’m not sure).  https://lovemyswitches.com/categories/enclosures/1590d.html  or SmallBear has the same size as well…but they’re shutting down soon.

mybud
    Participant

Genius stuff. Inspiring results for those wanting to get into combo builds and everyone else besides.

sofnwhat
    Participant

this will take awhile, but here i go …

Chris
    Participant

@sofnwhat Looks great! Good luck, looking forward to the finished pedal!

Watch out for the screw post on that middle footswitch, I’ve made the mistake of getting it too close before!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.