Home Forums General Mastodon Problems (solved)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Valohxc
    Participant

that’s it ! I have sound in Bypass!

I inverted TIP and RING on the jack IN!

Actually it seemed weird that the tip of my jack does not touch the tip where was connected the IN.

Awesome !

The LED and Bypass works, I still have no sound in “effect” mode, but I progress thanks to you!

So last step, we must find why I have no sound in “effect” mode …

I asked myself a question:

On the list of components, the R8 is 3k3 Ohm while on the diagram it is 1k8, I wondered if it was normal?

I’m going to redo Barry’s path of continuity tonight just in case!

And what do you think of the values ​​taken in Q1 and Q2 that I mentioned above, they are not the same as those prescribed in the diagram of the pedal, there must be a concern.

Thank you anyway ! We are going forward !

Billy

OK so if I understand correctly you have your yellow wire from the 3PDT going to the ring connection on the one I drew the red line on? The IN jack socket? the ring is the shorter of the 2 catches

If that’s the case that wire needs to go to the tip solder lug

You’ve traced the 3PDT / jack connections  in effects mode you want to do it in bypass mode, lug 1 of the 3PDT in your picture would be bottom right because it’s upside down

Valohxc
    Participant

Yes I saw all this once connected, the switch was in position effect when I made the contacts with the multimeter, but it’s good I think for the 3PDT and the jacks are good because it works in bypass.

Now I have to find what’s wrong with the main PCB that has to make the effect because I still have no sound in position “effect”.

But we advance! 🙂

Billy

R8 is the CLR current limiting resistor for the LED 1K8 would be bright 3K3 not as bright you can use any value from 1K to 4K7 depending on how bright you want it

I’m at work at the moment so can’t have a good look I would suggest you make an audio probe see the guides link on the homepage for how to build and use one

This method will cut your fault finding from hours to minutes a great tool to have and cheap to make

Billy

All of your components look to be of the correct value the only one I can’t see clearly is R4 (22K) the colour bands should be

red, red, black, red, brown

Looking at the schematic and comparing your transistor voltages to what they should be I suspect you may possibly have a solder bridge or poor solder connection giving you your strange readings

Q1 Collector and Q2 Base should have the same voltage being directly connected to each other after R3 (51K) looking at your readings I think they do 1.75v

I think your voltages have Q1 and Q2’s Emitter and Collector the wrong way around and what you have as the Emitter is actually the Collector and visa versa your empty socket readings would make more sense that way

Q1 Emitter is only connected to ground and the fact you have 5.82v? there again makes me suspect a solder bridge / poor connection somewhere, continuity check Q1s Emitter to ground

Check Q1 Collector has continuity with Q2 Base

Check each transistor empty socket making sure that each of the 3 socket holes do not have continuity and double check the solder joints on the sockets

Check that R3 left side nearest the IN pad has continuity with Q1 Collector ( in red dots below on the pcb image)

This will give us an idea of where there could be a bridge or bad connection

Just for info 2N3904 pinout

Valohxc
    Participant

Ok already according to your diagram, I inverted my measurements between emitters and collectors. As a result Q1 transmitter and Q2 base are both at 1.75 V.

I have 5.82 V at the Q1 collector as I reversed when taking my measurements.

I study all your message tomorrow to try to see more clearly!

Thank you

Billy

If your initial measurements were reversed then you’d have 5.82v on the emitter of Q1

Take Q1 out of its socket and check the 3 socket holes don’t have continuity with each other

Weird measurements sometimes indicate no path to ground so check Q1 emitter has continuity with ground if not reflow the socket solder joint and re check  making sure the 3 socket holes don’t have continuity with each other

Valohxc
    Participant

Hello and thank you !

I followed your recommendations and I finally sound in “effect” mode.

It was the transmitter Q1 which was not welded well, now it is well connected to the mass and the pedal works (except the potentiometer WOOL which does not change absolutely the sound when I turn it even having redone the welds. ..).

By cons my R4 resistance is not a 22k but a 24k, its color code is:
    red – yellow – black – red – brown.

I do not know if it changes a lot of things, you will probably know me.

I took the values ​​in Q1 and Q2, they still do not correspond to those of the diagram but it is a little better and it gives:

Q1 E = 0 / B = 0.6 / C = 1.34
    Q2 E = 0.7 / B = 1.34 / C = 1.70

So I have a continuity between Q1C and Q2B and now between Q1E and GRND.

I have no continuity in the transistors so it’s ok and I have continuity between R3 and Q1C.

It remains for me to find why the WOOL potentiometer does not work.
    I tested it at the Ohmeter (on the circuit) and I have two legs that remain at 0.00 Ohm when I turn the potentiometer …

I have another 2k lin potentiometer that dates from my previous test but when I test it it reacts exactly the same way (0.00 Ohm between the same two legs), according to you do I replace it or is it can it come from elsewhere?

And thank you !

Billy

Great glad it’s working the transistor voltages don’t have to be exactly the same a few mV won’t make a massive difference

To check resistance on your potentiometer measure resistance between the two outer lugs 1 and 3 but remember they have a + or – 20% tolerance so may not be exactly 2K

You will get 0v between the middle and 1 outer lug the middle and other outer lug will give you a resistance reading, turn the potentiometer shaft the other way and they’ll be opposite

If you are getting 0v between the same lugs turned both ways then the potentiometer may be faulty

There is information on how they work in the beginners guide to effects pedal components

24K won’t make much difference to a 22K resistor for R4 that is why your transistor voltages are slightly different Q2 collector with more resistance giving you 1.70 instead of 2.3v if it sounds good just leave it

Valohxc
    Participant

Well that’s it all works!

I think there was a contact with the chip or it’s me who did not understand the effect of the potentiometer just now …

Case settled! I’m going up the whole box and I’ll plug it into the pedal in 1h see what it’s worth!

I will put a picture when she is pretty!

A big thank you to you and Barry!

Billy

Well done on getting it working, it does get easier!

You have learned a lot which will be good for your next pedal build

As Barry said read the guides a lot is answered in the guides and they’re written with the beginner in mind with links for more information

And definitely make an audio probe and a test pedal it makes fault finding much easier and much faster

I look forward to seeing your completed pedal

Bob Vines
    Participant

Billy,

You wrote “And definitely make an audio probe and a test pedal it makes fault finding much easier and much faster.”  I’ve built an audio probe, but don’t have a test pedal.  Is there a set of build instructions for the “test pedal,” or is this simply a known good pedal?  I have to admit that I’m experiencing brain freeze or similar, but hope someone can point me to the answer.

Thanks,

Bob

Billy

The test pedal is basically a pedal without a circuit in it that you can attach your newly populated pcb in, out, ground and power to

It saves you soldering your 3PDT in and out jacks and DC jack to your pcb prior to putting it in the enclosure

If it tests OK then doesn’t work when you wire it into your enclosure 9 times out of 10 you then know you’ve made a mistake with your offboard wiring to the 3PDT jacks DC jack etc

If it doesn’t work then with a test box with an integrated audio probe you can immediately start debugging as Barry says with the flick of a switch using the integrated audio probe

I have been working on an image showing how to make one from tagboard effects this one

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/09/test-box-20.html?m=1

I’ll get it finished when I get a minute and post it, it’s simply a visual of the above instructions

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart