Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Over Drive Circuit v2 Questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Henrik 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Henrik
    Participant

Hi,

i bought your Over Drive Circuit v2 recently and started to build it.

i have two questions i hoped to get answered.

On D1 i have to install a Germanium Diode 1N34A or replace it with a jumper. What would be the difference between these two options?

When i use the 3 PDT Wiring Board, R14 would not be installed on the Main Board. Do i have to or should i install the 2k2 resistor from R14 to the CRL pad on the 3 PDT Wiring Board?

Thanks,

Henrik

wilkie1

The 1N34A diode creates asymmetrical clipping when used in conjunction with Q1 and Q2.  Replacing it with a jumper will produce symmetrical clipping.  This may result in a subtle tonal change.

If you are using a 3PDT wiring board to mount the LED, you will install the CLR (current limiting resistor) on the 3PDT board instead of on the main board at R14.

Henrik
    Participant

Thanks alot for your help.

With this information i searched and read about symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping. Would this subtle tonal change, in your opinion, be worth it to install a switch for sym./asym. clipping or is this difficult? I could not find a detailed guide for such a mod yet and i would say i am a still a beginner with only 3 pedals made (but without any problems so far 😉 ).

Thanks,

Henrik

Cybercow

Henrik – nothing, no amount of reading or research, or even listening to other people’s demos of any given circuit or modification can replace the satisfaction of trying different components one’s self. I too read up on all the various diode clipping techniques, variations and studied the different diode datasheets; and while I “thought” a certain configuration would sound good or better than something else, my ears changed my mind and corrected several misconceptions I’d accumulated in just my reading and data gathering. The concept of “socket and see” is well worth the effort of applying sockets in a build where a builder even suspects they might want to try different values of components in any given circuit. I approach all of my builds with the idea that I am likely to want to try different values of certain components in one or more sections of a circuit.

In my own personal journey thru diode clipping techniques, methods and diode types, I’ve found the differences subtle at best. My own responses have been anywhere from “Meh.” to “That sounds great!” to “I can’t hear any difference at all.”

So, is it worth it to “install a switch to toggle between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping”? The answer is “Yes.” and “No.” You may best benefit by trying it to see.

Good luck in your search.

wilkie1

++1 Cybercow!  That is a wonderful discussion of component substitution.

In case Henrik wishes to try this, I am enclosing a simple diagram to show how to use a DPDT switch to exchange a component on a circuit board.

Henrik
    Participant

Very thanks to both of you.

Henrik

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart