Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support One Knob Fuzz stopped working

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Hi, I’m very new to this. Conpleted the One Knob Fuzz. It worked with a very large amount of buzzing when turned on. I figured it might be a grounding issue so tried to fix it, now the pedal doesnt work at all. The guitar is fine wheb switch is off. When switch is turned on I can here a change when the volume control is touched but no sound from the guitar. I haven’t changed any of the wiring from when it worked. There is some white noise when it is engaged. If the out wire and the ground next to it touch  the white noise disappears and  reappears when the wires have separated . I have not soldered any of the wires to the power supply or inputs and switch as I was just testing. I have replaced the in and out wires as well.

Is it possible I have blown the circuit…?? Wheb I touch the bottom on the capacitors and resistors I can hear a difference in the white noise presuming that there is some response.

Im stuck and getting super frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thank  you, Ben

Billy

Hi Ben

Welcome to the forum

There are a few possibilities of what could be wrong

We’d need clear in focus pictures of both sides of the board and off board wiring so that it can be traced easily

Cybercow

Pat – When you said:  “I have not soldered any of the wires to the power supply or inputs and switch as I was just testing.” It leaves me with the impression that the lack of soldering those connections is the issue. Unsoldered connections can be flaky at best. And as Billy points out, good clear photos are crucial to assisting you better.

Ben
    Participant

Ben
    Participant

Hope these might help a little bit.

Thanks,

Ben

Cybercow

At the risk of repeating myself, the lack of soldering those connections is an issue. The lack of properly soldered joints is insufficient for testing. Only on a breadboard or screw-down terminals is not-soldering OK. The connects to and fro the PCB, (and the external components), MUST be soldered for a good test. Otherwise, the intermittent condition of hand-tightened-only connections get in the way of assured testing.

Also – your jacks are wired backwards. Reverse the wiring on your input and output jacks. The black wires need to go to the jack sleeves – you have the black (ground) wires connected to the tips of the I\O jacks. The extra bit of component leads nee to be trimmed as well.

Billy

Barry has a soldering video if you watch that it’ll give you the confidence to get you soldering like a pro in no time it’s really not that difficult it is important that your soldering iron is suitable for pcb work up to about 30 watts even better if it has a temperature control, solder is also important I never use unleaded but if i have to I also use flux to help it melt better

The crash course also on the guides page explains information on soldering irons etc

Watch it here

Ben
    Participant

Thank you for the replies again. I will try and solder the connections today to eliminate that as a possibility. Perhaps the photos weren’t clear enough on the wiring. The black wires on the PCB are connected to the holes not marked with a T – so I presumed they are the ground, the other the tip. On the I/O jacks they are connected to the bottom lug and the other wires to the to ones which from my understanding – and certainly could be wrong – the lug at the bottom is always the ground. Happy to reverse these to try, but I presumed that part was right as I get a clean first sound when the pedal is off so the signal is traveling through.

Thanks again,  really appreciate it,  Ben

Barry
    Keymaster

The yellow and green wires from the foot switch are connected to the wrong lugs of the jacks. As Mark said, reverse them.

I strongly suggest reviewing the entire guides page before proceeding. You can access that by clicking the link in the main menu bar up top.

There are several beginner guides that would be very helpful to you.  I agree with Mark in that I would not expect your build to work or at best intermittently if you have not soldered the wiring connections. All connection throughout the circuit need to be soldered. Also trim leads So they don’t short on something and act as noise antennae.

Ben
    Participant

Thank you, I’m in the process of soldering. However the yellow and green wires were on the correct lugs of the jacks. I reversed them first and didnt even get a clean sound through the circuit with it off. When I changed them back to what was in the picture, the clean sound returned. The issue seems to be the connection with the pcb when the switch is turned on. Hoping soldering and clipping the wires will fix it so I dont ruin another PCB. Again thanks for the input and advise.

Ben

Cybercow

Ben – the connection points on the PCB that marked with the “T” are the “TIP” connection points – not ground. So you have wire colors correct on the PCB side of the In\Out jack wiring. But the jacks themselves are wired in reverse. Place the black wires on the sleeve (ground) lugs and the colored wires on the tip (signal) lugs.

Ben
    Participant

I have soldered all except the ground connections on the jacks. I had to change wire colors to redo it and it is still not working. The connections on the jacks were correct. When I reversed them I got no sound at all with the pedal on and off. When I put them back I got a signal with the switch turned off. The ground wires were attached to the sleeve. It may have been hard to see, but I did have those correct. Have tried with the 3DPT PCB and again when I turn it on there is no sound. The green and red wires off to the right go to the 9 volt battery. Sorry for the back and forth – I really appreciate the help, getting super frustrated with myself.

Ben

Billy

From your picture you still have the jack socket wiring wrong you can first of all remove the orange and yellow wires from the main pcb to the jack sockets they are not needed if using a 3PDT board and then swap the red and black on the IN socket and orange and yellow on the OUT socket around

This has to be right before we can debug any further the fact that you still dont get any effect signal may be due to another fault

You can put a jack into the socket as in the picture to see where the tip (signal carrying wire) connects to and in turn which solder lug should be used so all you have to do is swap those wires around on the relevant IN and OUT sockets

Cybercow

Ben –

Barry
    Keymaster

What Billy and Mark said plus here is this also from our Guides Page.

I would print these out and hang them where you work.

Ben
    Participant

Thanks everyone. I have tried everything and still no luck. Not sure what has happened. It did work so I got something right. Just gunna contact Pedal Parts Australia and try again…..

Cheers

Ben

Barry
    Keymaster

You could upload a new photo so we can have a look at the final try to see if it is something obvious via pictures. It wouldn’t hurt as I see it anyway.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.