Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion on board effect

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Todd Evans
    Participant

So….I completed a couple boards called the “Pico Fuzz”  they are SMD boards, that were REAL FUN to complete….when I could actually focus my aging eyes on what the hell I was doing.

Anyway, I figured it’d be nice to install this into my esquire modded Affinity Telecaster…I may come across as being dumb for asking this, but what all would I need to do to accomplish this.  I’ve built many pedals, but I’ve never modded one, or did anything “outside the box”  I’m assuming that a SPDT or DPDT switch from the battery (neck pickup route will be perfect for battery compartment, I think) to +/- on the board would be good for an on/off?  Then would the PCB go between the pickup and the blade switch?  Between the blade and the volume/tone? Or after the volume/tone, to the output?  I assume it might make a difference, but what that would be, I don’t know.

Let me know…as for right now, this is all I have planned….but I’m thinking of replacing the broadcaster pickup I currently have in it with a humbucker….of course, that requires a new bridge plate, which I haven’t quite found yet…(it has to be black)  I considered having the blade set for series, parallel, split, then normal volume/tone.  The esquire tone options are neat, but I don’t fiddle with tone enough to make it worth it.  I suppose, I could install a one knob fuzz where the tone pot is, and have volume/fuzz with no tone control….hmmmm…..

Anyway, let me know how dumb I am for asking this question.

Todd

wilkie1

Installing effects into guitars/basses can present several unique challenges.  The power source can either be an on-board battery or external power supplied through a stereo jack and cable to a floor box.  Power for the on-board battery is usually switched via the input jack.  The effect is usually wired after pickups and switching and before the out jack.  Effect switches can either be push pull pot mounted or mini-toggles that will require new holes in pick guards or body.  Shielding from RF can be an issue particularly with high gain effects.

I suggest you do some careful planning or get some professional advice/assistance before doing any mods that are not reversible.

Todd Evans
    Participant

Thanks for the advice.  I’m not too worried about anything being non-reversible.  I can just modify the guitar to be something else entirely.  This is my “play thing.”  I was only using it as my test guitar for the pedals I build.  I never play it out, and it’s not the prettiest thing in the world.  It is a good playing guitar, though, so as long as I don’t mess up the neck (not sure how I could fiddling with wiring, but I’m sure I can figure it out).

I’ve built about 10 partscasters, so I’m not scared if I have to start all over.  As far as these PCBs….they only cost a buck, plus the components….so it’s not even that big a loss if I screw up the board.These fuzz boards are just so tiny, as you can see in my pic, they are just begging to be installed into a guitar.  Seeing that this is a former Tele Esquire, the battery compartment is pretty much premade.

I think I may breadboard the wiring, just to be sure everything works, prior to soldering anything in.  I just remembered that I do have a push/pull that I’m not using, so I can use that…though, drilling a hole for a mini toggle doesn’t scare me, either.

wilkie1

OK.  Then go for it!

Todd Evans
    Participant

Well….I did it, now I just have to wait for my SD Invader to get here.

The Pico Fuzz fits fight on the side of the push/pull tone pot, with some pretty bulky double sided tape to avoid any unintentional grounding issues.  I had to deepen the neck pickup rout to fit the battery.  Though I haven’t strung it up yet, I did plug a pickup in to see if signal worked, etc.  Well, pickup works, 3 way blade switch for series/split/parallel….when I pull on the tone switch, it’s obvious that there is a fuzz going on, so I’d call this a success…took me a while to get all of the wiring straight in my head, so I’m not planning on making this a habit.  Switched to stereo output to prevent PCB from draining battery when not is use.

Can’t wait to get that pickup, now…

wilkie1

Well done!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.