Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion OD Pedal radio signals (solved)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Drew Heinonen
    Participant

Hey guys, I recently opened up one of my overdrive pedal builds and noticed a few solder joints were iffy. I fixed them, but when I put it back together, it started picking up radio static and signals. Any ideas why that might be?

Billy

Without knowing what it is hard to say Drew

Could be a filter cap not filtering out rf noise or poor shielding is it back in it’s box?

There’s a few things internal and external that can cause noise

Did you reflow any capacitor joints

Drew Heinonen
    Participant

Update: the radio signal is coming from my amp, not the pedal, but the static sound is for sure coming from the pedal.
    Yes, I reflowed most of the joints. It’s the Black Dog. The solder joint that connects the battery snap to the input jack was kinda bad so I re-did it, and I figured that while I was at it I may as well check over everything. Looks like I should have just left everything as is! The static gets more intense when the gain knob is turned up.

Billy

Could just be an audio wire running too close to a power wire Drew

Do the old pencil test get either a pencil or something non conductive and wiggle your wires to see if it affects the noise

Try to place your audio carrying wires as far away as you can from power wires if they have to cross do it like this + not paralell like this =

Does it make the noise when battery powered

wilkie1

Billy is spot on.  Any high gain pedal can pass along RF.  It may be coming in through your cable between the guitar and pedal.  Or through the guitar pickups.  Or through the pedal wiring.  Or through the wiring between the pedal(s) and the amp. Investigate these sources.

The Black Dog does have a second order low pass filter that is designed to roll off high frequencies above 7238 Hz.

Drew Heinonen
    Participant

It’s definitely the pedal. It does it when it’s isolated too. I only hear the noise when that pedal is on. Battery power makes no difference. Moving the wires around didn’t help either.

Drew Heinonen
    Participant

Just noticed something… the solder pad that connects the PCB to the middle lug of the input jack (the lower pad in the IN box) seems to have been ripped off. I’m sure that isn’t helping…

Barry
    Keymaster

That is your ground so that would cause it. Fortunately our boards contain extra ground pads so find a way to get common ground.

Drew Heinonen
    Participant

I switched the ground wire to a different ground pad. It’s still there but it’s less noticeable.

Barry
    Keymaster

You need to go over your entire build and make sure all grounding is good.

Re-flow.

Please post clear pictures and we can advise.

Drew Heinonen
    Participant

Got it. Sounds normal now. Thanks guys!

Big O
    Participant

The old radio signal problem.  I was having the same problem with a couple of my HS treble booster pedals when the boost was dimed and the amp at a fairly loud volume.  I changed out the 2n3904 transistors in the pedals to S9013’s and the radio broadcast disappeared.  Put the 3904’s back in and I could hear the radio.  Why, I for certain don’t know.  But switching out the transistors work and I’m not going to argue the point.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.