Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support No Gain – Dr Rock (solved)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cybercow 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jeremy
    Participant

Good morning all. No gain on my Dr Rock V2. LED doesn’t light up either. Volume and tone DOES work though. Any ideas.

Cybercow

Jeremy – how about some voltage readings for power supply, all the IC pins and the transistor?

Barry
    Keymaster

Yes we need voltages if you cannot troubleshoot yourself.

As for the pictures I can see the two arrows need reviewing. I will have to be critical on a few items so please understand it is just an effort to help.

1. The LED arrow despite looking potentially correct in one photo does not look right in this photo.

I zoomed in and cropped but it is still to hard to make out but the “Status On” Cathode Lead is supposed to be connected to the “Non-White Pad” the White pad is only used for the Status “OFF” color when using a Bi-Color Common Anode LED. The LED must be common anode and not common cathode as well or it will not work. So you will have to determine those two things I cannot see from the photo.

2. The potentiometer wiring is a heavier gauge than we typically use (24 gauge) however that should still fit considering a 1N4001 Diode will also fit through the pad. That said I am not sure the potentiometers are secured will with the pads. I would sure up any questionable connections and re-flow the entire board as well as any questionable off-board wiring. Be careful not to damage the pads with excessive heat or movement while adjusting and re-flowing.

One final note is that we pre-bend the resistor leads before inserting so they fit flat against the board and then solder. I see some of yours are angled which can cause enough stress when soldering to end up with a cold solder joint. I see several suspect joints (NOTE: R3 above the 9v connection for one example) that do not have a shiny Hershey kiss type joint on them which can be a cold solder joint. So again the fix here would be to re-flow and adjust while re-flowing being careful not to damage the pads.

Jeremy
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. I’ll give it another go this weekend and report back.

Jeremy
    Participant

Hi all. Closing the loop heee. Just got back to this issue. Resoldered some connections and now it roars like nothing else. Boxing it tonight. Thanks for your patience with this newb.

Cybercow

Nothing like re-flowing some old solder joints to freshen things up. Good to hear it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart