Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support MuFF + Roto4

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  brako 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

brako
    Participant

hi, i start a new topic,

since i saw this on the forum, i want to build one..

i want to make a muff with 2 roto4 in order to have 3 models of muff : the green and the black russian and the civil war

i bought a muffn kit and 2 roto4 for this. after reading all the manuel, 3 roto4 will be better but i have to make it with 2 roto.

certainly 2 switch for R18 and R23

so now with the roto i want to change 2 of this 3 value : C2, C5, C8. :::::::: what are the best to change?

and as i can put 4 mod with the Roto4, so i was thinking to put a 500p capacitor more if it can work and change the sound..

thank you all!

wilkie1

The instructions for the ROTO-TONE DELUXE show you how to change 2 different components.  The MUFF’N document shows you which component values are used for each version.  If a component value does not change much, you may not hear any difference.  I suggest you install sockets so you can change different values until you decide which tone you prefer.

Barry
    Keymaster

The difference between Muff variations can be seen in the build document by comparing all versions especially studying only the components that will make a difference tonally. You will see that there is not a lot of difference between variations by component values that actually matter. You can also read up on the Kit Rae page which is also linked in our build document which already breaks every detail down about the variants to an exact science.

All of that said the difference between Muff variants is not very much. I agree that there is a small difference which is dictated by the values listed in the build document it should also tell you that it is not that big of a difference to warrant a massive change in the tone. Opamp version excluded.

My point is that there already is a lot of detailed information available. My thought is that there is not enough difference to warrant 8 versions. I agree with Wilkie in that you should “Socket” the board and test your own values and see what you like and do not be afraid to try other values not listed in the build document. Also obviously when using the Muff Tone control and where it is set will make more or less difference in the Roto-Tone settings. This is also highly subjective so we suggest “socket and see” approach.

brako
    Participant

ok, so this 3 models are almost the same? (green black and civil war) what are the difference in the sound?

so it’s better to use it with different diode and led?

it’s not possible with one roto, to change 3 different composents my mode? (many wire…)

Cybercow

Brako – I built a couple of the Muff’N builds and both used the Roto-4 switching PCBs. I carefully analyzed the variants available (as listed in the build docs) and decided to use ALL the mods available in the advanced build doc for the Muff’N. I posted a very detailed dissertation of that first build and photo-journaled the build process, exposing the component values I used to achieve many of the variants. I didn’t try to target any of the specific builds, I just knew that with the value choices I used, the end result would allow the final pedal construct to reach across the spectrum of BMP variants. Again, with no true idea of which toggle settings would give me which specific BMP version. They all sound so similar with only slight variations between settings. There a couple of settings that have drastic differences, but of the more than a dozen combination possibilities, only few were quite audibly different. You can see my build post here: Klingon Muff Build.

brako
    Participant

yes thank u cybercow, i saw your build last year, and it’s why i wanted to do something with the roto..

so i put away the roto and finish the civil war in basic mode..

thank u

Barry
    Keymaster

Either way socket the Roto-Tone and use it as an “experiment board” for any build and let your own ears decide each time. It is always “subjective” to the builder so “socket and see”

Additionally the Muff’n On-Board mods will yield excellent results.

brako
    Participant

it’s a good option barry!

according to you, which resistor can i modified with a roto in order to have more or less fat bass?

thank u

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart