Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support MoWah Basic – heel noise (solved)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Adam
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Let’s start off with saying I really like the sound of the MoWah. Installed it in the casing of an old GCB95 Crybaby after literally tweaking it to death, trying to mod it to a wah tone I like. Anyway, I replaced almost everything except for the wah-pot and bought a red Fasel inductor for the MoWah build. It is working as intended, except for the – according to build documentation – reported heel “clicking” noise. Now the issue is, no matter where I turn the internal trim-pot (TR1), I can’t get rid of the clicking. I tried raising the R9-value from 22k to 47k, but it didn’t help either. Should I try raising the R9-value even further? Is there anything else I can do about it?

It doesn’t matter that much when using it in a high-gain setting, but using it clean or with bass guitar the noise makes it absolutely unusable.

Thank you very much in advance!

Barry
    Keymaster

Hi, If you have tried all the Mods (since the physical parameters of an enclosure are never going to be the same) it sounds like the enclosure is physically allowing the heel position to extend outside the performance range of the circuit and certain components can have up to 20% tolerance adding further to a problem. This is not a fault in the components it is just what to expect. This is a reason for the Trimmer.

For a quick and easy fix I suggest using something to keep the heel from going back just that “little bit” too far. A rubber foot used for the bottom of pedals comes to mind as something simple and unobtrusive or anything else you can think of to keep the heel from extending that extra centimeter or so outside of the range of the circuit. There is a convenient spot for doing this in the middle of the back once you find the correct height needed and place it in the center of the back that looks completely normal.

I never had issue with crybaby or vox shells however I have heard of some shells that allow just a tiny bit too much extension. If you have a handy “rubber foot or bumper” simply place it in the heel location that will block the treadle from rocking back too far and give it a try to see if that is the cause. If there is another mechanical way to solve inside the shell I would be interested to hear any alternate solution.

This is not a totally uncommon problem and you can see in this video a fellow found a way that he liked to limit the travel of the treadle:

Adam
    Participant

Thanks for the response.

So there’s no way a component change could fix the issue? The stock Crybaby wah circuit worked with the current mechanical range just fine. I will try limiting the range mechanically anyway.

Adam
    Participant

UPDATE!

Out of sheer curiosity and desperation I desoldered the stock inductor of the GCB95 and installed it in the MoWah circuit. To my surprise the noise is gone and it sounds great! Now I have a spare red fasel inductor…

Barry
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update. Again I had no issue with Dunlop shell using a Red Fasel but that is very good to know if it happens again I will have some alternative troubleshoot ideas if all else fails.

Enjoy the MoWah.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart