Home Forums Show Off Your Build Modified American Fuzz Pro

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry W Davis 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Robert Paul
    Participant

As mentioned in my recent post regarding the S-type guitar with custom electronics that I built, I am putting the finishing touches on a modified American Fuzz Pro pedal.  Pictures of the enclosure are below.  I used Barry’s method of making pedal art using photo paper and Armor All.  It worked out for me, but I am going to experiment on other pedals with other methods for applying pedal art such as using iron on transfer paper and clear transparency paper with a sticky backing.  Previously I had used water slide decals.

For the first time I used a new free artwork program from paint.net which allows one to use layers to compose your artwork.  I have made some templates to use for125B and 1590B enclosures to help work out the details of placing the artwork with respect to knobs, etc.  It was somewhat of a learning curve, but I think I have got the hang of it enough to be classified as a rank amatuer.

Current artwork:

My original artwork (below) got ruined when I was applying the glue to stick it on the enclosure.  I prefered the colors, but unfortunately the surface got streaked.  I decided to apply the glue to the enclosure instead and then place the artwork on the top surface.

I will post pictures of the finished pedal when I am done boxing it up, which I am in the process of completing now.  I will discuss what I modified in the upcoming post.

wilkie1

Great art work!

Robert Paul
    Participant

Finished the pedal.  Gutshot below.  The modifications include exchanging the 2N5088 transistors for 2N2222A’s with HFE’s of 238 to 284.  I also changed two caps (C6 to a 47uFand C7 to a 4.7nF) and volume pot from an A500K to a B500K.  The rest are stock American Fuzz Pro components.  The circuit is now quite similar to another one based off the Fuzzrite that has a name somewhat similar to my pedal.

Finished exterior.  I will change the knobs to pink when I make my next component purchase from one of the online vendors.

Also notice I socketed one of the substituted capacitors because in reading different message board threads on this type of fuzz, noise of this circuit can be affected by the capacitor and higher values apparently can fix this problem.  However, I didn’t need to change the value as there is not much noise except for the fuzziness and grainy texture on some of the settings.  The 2N222A’s in this cirucit sound fine to me – the way a Fuzzrite type pedal should sound.  There is no hiss, so there was no need to use the filter caps between the base and collector of the transistors (notice these position have sockets on the board just in case).  Overall, this is a more knarly and earthy version of the stock American Fuzz Pro pedal.  With a couple of sockets at C6 and C7 along with sockets for the transistors, one could easily make a convertible version of the American Fuzz Pro with a lot of room to experiment without having to do major modifications on the pedal.  Quite fun!

Barry
    Keymaster

Nice Job and thank you for sharing the build thoughts.

Robert Paul
    Participant

Repost of the pedal picture as I changed image hosting sites.

Finished exterior.

Also, my Guitar PCB version of the pedal with 2N2222 transistors instead of the 5088’s, which I recently changed out.  Pedal is a little more knarly than previous.

Gilles Genete
    Participant

wohh , when I look at your artwork, I definitely need to improve ( do something at least ) for my pedals , shame on me !

Barry W Davis
    Participant

Wow! Nice artwork!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart