Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Mini me w/ bufferboard

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

Hi I am new to using the 3pdt buffer boards. Both my mini me and buffer board are fully populated and ready for assembly and fine tuning. Can someone show me how/where the wired connections are made to make them compatible? I am having a hard time following the build guides.

Billy

Wire your in and out jack tips to the pads with a small T on the buffer pcb and your jack grounds to the pads next to them

Wire your mini me in and out T pads to the I and O pads on the buffer pcb

You can either wire your LED and LED current limiting resistor (CLR) to the mini me board CLR is  R34 or the buffer board CLR is R4

Power +9v and ground your mini me from the DC jack then use the extra +9v and ground pads to jumper across to the buffer pcb +9v and ground pads

Paul
    Participant

Ok I will give that a shot. Thanks. Do I not need to use this? I am a visual guy so I am trying to connect the dots with your instructions.

Paul
    Participant

Any help?

Barry
    Keymaster

That image above looks correct in all ways. Billy explained what the image shows.

You are basically running a power and ground to share between two boards. There is usually more than one way to do this and as long as they accomplish the task it is all good. Some make slight changes to keep wire lengths short and that could depend on where you like to locate your power jacks for example. That is why we offer multiple pads to suit different styles. At any rate that looks good.

This also follows a similar process as our 3PDT Wiring Boards.

You may want to compare some diagrams from that Build Document.

I am planning on doing a more colorful presentation for the Buffer Board diagram but I have not gotten to it yet.

I drew this up real quick as one working example.

Green is Board I and Board O, Yellow is to TIP Jack Wiring.

Red = Power – (Extra 9v Pad connects to Power Jack)

Grey = Ground (Extra Ground Pad connects to Power Jack)

I hope that helps.

Paul
    Participant

Paul
    Participant

Ok so I have sound in bypass. No effect and led doesn’t light up. I followed your diagram but still no dice.

Barry
    Keymaster

I can’t trace the wiring with those pictures. If there is no sound at all in effect mode then it is likely a wiring issue.

If there is sound in effect mode then there could be a number of other things to check like the Roto-Tone.

Also the O pad on the Buffer Board looks like it may have lost a pad? Hard to tell but that would also be an issue.

Paul
    Participant

I will get a better picture. Basically I followed the diagram you showed. Does the 9v plug wire to the mini me board or buffer board first? Also do I need a CLR for the LED? I don’t want to scrap the buffer board but it is causing me so issues that I have yet to overcome.

Barry
    Keymaster

I am not able to check many things that I would want to. What does your Jumper system on the back look like? Does it match the silkscreen for a coolaudio chip? I believe that is the chip you are using? I cannot verify your In/Out to Jack connections etc..

You need a CLR for all LEDs or they will blow even if connected for a second. It would also depend on the switch position if it is On/Off LED. It looks like you have the CLR installed on the Buffer board.

The only way I would troubleshoot this myself is by a hands on approach rechecking wiring and testing for continuity using a multimeter.

It doesn’t matter what gets power first as long as both boards are sharing the power and ground.

Paul
    Participant

Paul
    Participant

Paul
    Participant

Ok hopefully these help. The chip is a 3207 from the store. My jumpers are 1 to 3 and 2 to 4.

Paul
    Participant

Paul
    Participant

Ok so I think I am headed in the right direction. I have sound in bypass but the same unaffected tone with the footswitch depressed. I did away with the buffer board for the time being but this still doesn’t sound chorus. Here is a pic of where Im at. Any help would be great.

Cybercow

Paul – See that red wire at the bottom of the photo going to the jack? That’s supposed to be the signal line. Notice the little “G” silk-screened on the main PCB where that red wire is going.

Cybercow

And FWIW . . . .  on those jacks being used . . . .  they appear to be ‘stereo’ (TRS) style jacks. The connector that is on the corner at an angle is the GROUND (sleeve) connection. Use your DMM to verify the ‘tip’ connection. The remaining connector is for the “ring” connection and is NOT needed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.