Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Mini-Me Chorus: No sound at all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Herr_Samsa
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am new to the whole DIY game and still learning a lot about electronics in general and trying to improve my soldering skills. So I thought I give the mini me a shot. I purchased a kit of the “old” board (not the 2020 version) via musikding.de, read the basic introductions and assembly instructions on this board and went for it. For the build I used this guide.

When I was finished I was really excited to see that the LED was instantly working as promised – I didn’t doubt the kit but my skills. But unfortunately that was all that worked. Neither clean (bypass) nor chorus worked. So I started double checking every step I made and connection I created. Up until now I have tested all the reistors and capacitors with a multimeter and the reults check out. So I am a little bit out of ideas about what I did wrong and/or what part I might have botched. Checking this section of the board didn’t help much either. I stumbled across Joeri’s recent thread  but the problem there seemed to be something different.

Here are some pictures of the current status of the project. For the sake of confusion reduction I have removed the LED again from D3 on the board before taking the pictures. Please forgive my cluelessness; I am sure that whatever mistake I have made must be something obvious to you guys. Any help is much appreciated!

Cybercow

Check the wiring of the “In” and “Out” pads of the PCB. From what I can make of the photos, they appear to be reversed on both sides. (But I can’t see them clearly, so I’m guessing.) The blue wires at the “In” & “Out” pads on the PCB need to be connected to the pad marked with a “T”.

Do you have any voltage readings for the ICs to compare with those listed in the build docs?

Herr_Samsa
    Participant

Dear Cybercow,

thanks a lot for your incredibly quick reply. It took me quite a while to find out which “T”-markings you were referring to. But since I have finally found them I can say with confidence that the blue wires are already connected to said pads. Sorry for the low quality images D: Can I provide any more detailled shots of something in particular to make it easier?

Unfortunately I don’t have any voltage readings for the ICs (yet). Of all the things I could imagine being possibly faulty I would have suspected the ICs the least.

Cybercow

Herr_Samsa – let me first point out the correct wiring configuration for the switching PCB on stompswitch . . .

3PDT_Wiring_Board

I’m reasonably sure that were you to follow the wiring instructions in the linked file, it should spark to life. It will require some existing wiring changes, but the 3PDT Wiring guide should set everything aright. Let us know how it goes.

Be sure to check all of the Guides including the one linked above on our GUIDES PAGE. <– Here.

Herr_Samsa
    Participant

Thanks to your support Cybercow I think, I’m getting there. After studying the 3PDT guide I altered the wiring and now there’s at least audible low frequency buzzing when in ON mode (no bypass when in OFF). Now I understand that I previously didn’t even supply power to the 3PDT board. From what I made from the 3PDT guide I rewired as follows:

Obviously I must have come to a fallacy – but where? Thank you so much for your patience!

Cybercow

The bypass LED is best served using the 3PDT PCB – no need to use ANY of the “S connections on the main PCB. Use the wiring guide from 3PDT PCB Wiring Guide precisely as it describes..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.