Home Forums Show Off Your Build Mellon Collie and the Infinite Phatness

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Eliasson
    Participant

I am a big fan of the Pumpkins and appreciate Billy Corgan’s evolution from Gish to Cyr. In my opinion, his best “guitar” sounds are on SIamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. A little bit of research revealed he used a MXR Distortion+ into a Big Muff Pi Op Amp Version for the base distortion sound. He used an octaver for the song Rocket and either a Mutron Bi-Phase or MXR Phase 90 depending on the source set on low.

To achieve the sound, I ended up cramming five PCBs into a 1590XX. This pedal features a Green Ringer going into a Emexar into a Muffin (op amp) into a Dr. Phybes, and capped off by a Stage 3 boost because why not?

This pedal is a success and a failure at the same time I regret to admit. The failure lies in the Dr. Phybes part of the circuit. Unfortunately despite verifying using all the right components and getting a modulated phase sound, there was no rate shift with the use of the potentiometer. Fortunately for me, whenever Corgan did use phase, he used it on a absolutely minimal setting to add a texture to the base fuzz sound. Therefore I ended up fitting a 82k resistor in pads 2 and 3 of P1.

Despite using five PCBs, you will notice I only have four foot switches. That is because the Emexar and Muffin into one circuit in series.

Enjoy!

Chris
    Participant

Man, this is great.  So many good ideas here!  I personally love the flipping of the stage 3 board to achieve the correct orientation while putting the board where you wanted it. Nicely done!!

Barry
    Keymaster

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. A lot of tones in a single box.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.