Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support G-02 Animal with BuffNBlend

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Henrik
    Participant

Hi,

impressed and inspired by Scott Prestons combo pedal (https://guitarpcb.com/forums/topic/a-mash-up-of-two-classic-cornish-style-pedals/) I’m building a combo by my own.

The animal side doesn’t work so I’m trying to find the problem. I checked the build document once again and realized that when using a wiring board, or a BuffNBlend as I do, I have to ignore S4-S6. But there are still S1, S2, S7 and S8.

Am I right by checking the schematic and looking at Scott Prestons pictures that I have to jumper S1-S2 and S7-S8?

https://guitarpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BD_G-02-Animal.pdf

Thank you,

Henrik

Billy

Yes try that I did that with my G 02 build when mine didn’t fire up, jumpering S1 and 2 and S7 and 8 cured it

Henrik
    Participant

Thank you,

now it works.

Henrik

Henrik
    Participant

Hi,

I need your help again. The Animal doesn’t work properly.

When I turn on the effect, there is a permanent sound and if I play my guitar, it sounds terribly wrong on top. [Here is an mp3 I recorded to my post here as an example]

Sound File

The guitar signal gets through the circuit. The LED and the bypass are working. I put the pcd out of the enclosure, used it without the BuffNBlend, the same problem. I used it with battery, the same sound.

The pots seem the be ok, checked them with my multimeter. The 6 Transistors 2N5088 seem to work, Q1-Q6 have the voltage descripted in the building manual, with a few percent difference here and there. I checked the wires and the polarity of the components when there is any. I checked the diodes (LEDs) with MM, they seem to work. The solder points should be ok, checked them and re-soldered here and there. I cannot find a reason for the problem.

What should I do now? What could cause such a sound?

Some help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Henrik

Billy

Check all your transistors are seated securely in their sockets Henrik I’d also untangle the blue and black IN  wires

I actually think it sounds like an old casio keyboard you may have inadvertently found a cool mod!

Anyway check your transistors are in the sockets nice and secure

All your resistor values etc look correct but can’t see R32, 34 or 37

Henrik
    Participant

Hi,

thank you for your help so far. I’m still trying to get the circuit work.

A pin of the Volume pot broke yesterday when I was soldering, so perhaps it was damaged before. As far as I understand the schematic, the pot is a voltage divider. So i can simply go from pin3 to Out and it would be like the Volume pot all the way up, right?

And if the Volume pot is a voltage divider, could I use a A50k instead of the broken A10K? Would there be any difference? (I have one left so I would not have to wait for a new one)

Thanks,

Henrik

Billy

Pin 2 is the volume pot output goes to R38 junction

You may be able to use the pot if you can still solder to it

Any pot should work it may not act as it should ie  bunch up across it’s range

You can alter resistance by putting a resistor across lugs 1 and 3 to change your 50K

Henrik
    Participant

Ah, thanks.

So I have to put a 12,5k resistor parallel to the 50k pot and it’s like the needed 10k pot.

I’ll try. Hopefully I can make the circuit work soon, my motivation dreclines more and more.

Cheers,

Henrik

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart