Home Forums General Regarding Parts Sourcing…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Hank 5 days, 9 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Robert Paul
    Participant

I went to Mammoth Electronics website yesterday to purchase a few odd and end parts. Mammoth was a supplier of full Guitar PCB kits, which I utilized many times in the past.  Unfortunately, I was met with the following:  “Effective October 11th, 2019 Mammoth Electronics will no longer be taking orders online.  We are in final talks for a business acquisition.  Mammoth is committed to completing all current open orders, and will be in contact with everyone awaiting their orders ASAP.  Thank you.”

This does not sound good to me.  I wonder if they will continue to exist as an ongoing enterprise.  I purchased many of my parts and supplies from them, and never had any major issue.  Unfortunately all good things will come to an end.

Anyone who has used them as a place to source parts may have to look elsewhere in the future.

Cybercow

Mammoth is in the process of being “obtained” by another entity. No real information yet as to what “entity” that may be. Over the last year, their quality of customer service has declined steadily and hopefully the new owners will correct that – hopefully Guitar PCB will be able to re-strike an arrangement. Time will tell.

Barry
    Keymaster

Mammoth only supplied a few PCBs of ours as kits.

I fully endorse PedalPartsandKits who do an excellent job drilling the enclosure so it is suited to each and every board while also making sure all the parts are included. PedalPartsandKits take the extra time to individually hand drill each enclosure to be aligned perfectly to suit each and every unique board we carry.

Additionally purchasing parts for me is always done through the likes of Mouser, Digikey, Small Bear and PedalPartsPlus who are all in the USA and have excellent prices. I realize Mouser has a slight “filter learning curve” but it is really pretty easy considering the vast amount of items they carry. Any oddball pedal stuff if not available at Mouser or Digikey can almost always be found at Small Bear and PedalPartsPlus. Mouser now offers a 1st class shipping option as well.

Robert Paul
    Participant

I didn’t know about all the problems you had with them Barry.  Maybe you can work with the new owners if they continue to sell pedal parts, and maybe they could offer your boards alone, but it is just easier for me ordering them from Guitar PCB.  I like supporting independent small businessmen and I feel a bit of kinship since you live close to where I went to college (used to drive through your town on the way to go skiing).

I can say I only had a couple of small problems over the years with mammoth, but their enclosures were always fine.  I just discovered that an MPSA13 transistor I ordered from them a couple of years ago was not a transistor, but instead a voltage regulator.  I don’t know how that happened, but they didn’t even sell that type of part.

Fortunately I have a bunch of spare parts such as transistors, caps, resistors and hardware other than enclosures.  Looks like I will have to learn how to use Mouser’s site.  I have used others such as Small Bear, PPP, etc. so hopefully obtaining reasonably priced parts won’t be a problem.

wilkie1

My last enclosure order with Mammoth was drilled incorrectly.  It took several phone calls and two more weeks to get a replacement.  I haven’t mentioned this until now since I dislike bad mouthing a DIY supplier.  I hope the new owner will do better.

Barry W Davis
    Participant

PedalPartsPlus has gone to a minimum enclosure order of 25

funkyjunky
    Participant

Anyone have suggestions for where to purchase smaller enclosure orders at a reasonable price? I was just about to order 4 – 1590BB’s from PPP, doooh!

Barry
    Keymaster

Many of us seem to be overlooking Small Bear who are an awesome DIY Pedal Parts provider from NY and have just about everything and they are very much worth supporting.

Here is a direct link to enclosures: LINK

Hank
    Participant

I’ll put my 2 cents in. Mammoth did a good job at very good prices but I echo the comment about the decline in both service and parts not being in stock often. I am concerned to hear that Pedal Parts Plus May have a minimum finished enclosure number. I had not experienced that but it’s been a year since I ordered one from them. Love My Switches is a great source for switches, jacks, DC power jacks and has a good price on prefinished black and white enclosures. Small Bear is also great. Mouser is difficult to navigate for me still but I do use them for a lot of parts, especially MLCC caps and oddball pots, etc.   I hate to see any small business go belly up, especially one I used as much as Mammoth (I got to GPCB through purchasing my first pedal kit through them).  Again, just my 2 cents worth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart