Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion FYI: Just Read Small Bear is Closing

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Big O
    Participant

Found this out on the BYOC forum.  Doesn’t appear to be a rumor.  Really will be losing a major source of parts for us pedal builders.

Aviator
    Participant

That’s terrible news.  I am just getting started at pedal building and place fairly large an order with them a few days ago. I was really looking forward to doing more business with them.

Barry
    Keymaster

I would not panic. Steve is retiring after 20 years of running a successful business.

Key word successful.

If you do not think somebody is taking that over in full stride then I would think again. Everybody loves drama.

If you think about it why would anyone give up a fully stocked, successful business you ran for 20 years and had a huge customer base. Well you wouldn’t because that is a cash cow and would fund your retirement.

Big O
    Participant

On the BYOC board one of the moderators stated that Steve Daniels, apparently the man responsible for Small Bear, called him and told him he is retiring.  Hopefully he will sell his business, but there is no word yet that anyone is taking over the business.

By the way, it is the BYOC board that brought me to GuitarPCB.  That board is another good source of information for pedal building in addition to the forum here, which is also excellent and chock full of information.

I hope you are right Barry, and someone takes over the business.  If they do, though, prices could be going up.

Barry
    Keymaster

Well I saw a post on Instagram from Steve and it appears he is going to stay open till they sell out of everything and then close.

That literally makes no sense to me because of the customer database alone which took 22 years to build would be worth a pretty penny all by itself (and maybe that is what is happening). Anyway it’s really too bad there would not be a continuance of some sort because I am certain there is a market for it.

JDub
    Participant

Barry.  Do you think you might take on some of the components Small Bear sells?  Like more footswitches, pots, jacks and enclosures?

Barry
    Keymaster

I may introduce more items however nothing as extensive as Small Bear.

Big O
    Participant

Small Bear was my main source for Ge transistors.  Hopefully GuitarPCB can provide more of these, but as available hard to find stocks dwindle I think that this would be a difficult proposition for Barry.

Barry
    Keymaster

So he is selling… because of course he is.

If you are looking to get in on the business and have an extra cool 7 figures laying around I would give him a call.

Big O
    Participant

Well at least the company is up for sale and hopefully someone will take it over.  It likely will take some time as there are usually negotiations.  In a 7 figure sale, the buyer will probably have to get some financing, maybe from the seller.  I have been through this before as a principal shareholder in a small company so I know how these things can go.

And things can go bad along the road potentially derailing a deal.  Somebody leaked the information we were selling and our five biggest clients decided to leave, so our original deal had to be renegotiated leaving us with less favorable terms.  We think the leak came from the buyers, a billion dollar company, but we had no way to prove it in a court of law, so we settled for a lower sale amount.  Interestingly, those clients are back with the company.

So I hope there are no glitches along the way and we won’t even notice the transition from old to new owner.  But you never know.  The company could be sold and the stock of parts absorbed by the new entity without being offered for sale.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.