Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion footswitch damage?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JDub
    Participant

I have 3PDT and 4PDT switches soldered to boards that I don’t want to use anymore.  I want to remove them from the current boards and solder them to new ones.  How easily could I damage the switches if I de-solder them from the boards they are currently on?

Cybercow

That depends entirely how good you are at desoldering. IF you try to remove the solder from all the posts at one time, there is a good chance of destroying the switch with too much heat. If you do not intend to ever use the PCB(s) to which they are attached, then I suggest you use side-cutters to cut as much of the board away from each post before desoldering. Then do one post at a time with a fair amount of cooling time between desoldering each one.

If you want to keep the PCB(s), then you are in for a timely process. Too much heat is the danger.

JDub
    Participant

Okay.  Thanks Cybercow.  I didn’t care about the PCB and I did remove the solder from all the posts at one time.  After I got all the solder off the posts I used my DMM to check continuity on each pole and in both positions. They all checked out fine.  Should that mean the switch is still good? I’m building the Tony Iommi combo special from a couple years ago but with the Boogie 57 instead of the Sabotage and I have it soldered into a new 4pdt Easy Order Switching board and I’m not getting any sound when I turn either of the effects on.  I get good sound in bypass and there’s no change when I engage the 4pdt but when I engage either of the effects the sound cuts out.  Do you think that’s because the 4pdt on the Easy Order Switcher is now bad or more likely because I don’t have it wired correctly?

Cybercow

JDub – “After I got all the solder off the posts I used my DMM to check continuity on each pole and in both positions. They all checked out fine.  Should that mean the switch is still good?”

YES

“I’m building the Tony Iommi combo special from a couple years ago but with the Boogie 57 instead of the Sabotage and I have it soldered into a new 4pdt Easy Order Switching board and I’m not getting any sound when I turn either of the effects on.  I get good sound in bypass and there’s no change when I engage the 4pdt but when I engage either of the effects the sound cuts out.  Do you think that’s because the 4pdt on the Easy Order Switcher is now bad or more likely because I don’t have it wired correctly?”

I have no idea without good, clear photos of the wiring. If proper continuity is measured between the poles on the 4P2T switch, then it will likely be wired incorrectly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.