Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Fabulous Furry Fuzz Bros. – an Homage to Gilbert Shelton

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cybercow

Here are the first runs of the artwork I am proposing for a trio of GuitarPCB fuzz builds. Blatantly stolen imagery from Gilbert Sheldton’s “Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers”. An homage to the 60’s classic comic book series. (There may be updates.)

The planning so far is have them each stuffed into 1590B enclosure with top-mounted jacks. (Yes, a very tight fit – but doable.) All pots will be 9mm solid 1/4″ shafts to ensure there is adequate space in the inside-top of the enclosure – wired and not PCB mounted. Also adding clipping toggle switches to each. The enclosures are all ‘Silver Ball’ with white-background waterslides planned. And here are the initial artwork mock-ups . . . .

Phreak Phuzz . . . .  (GuitarPCB “Fzzz Bxxx” build) . . . .

Freewheelin’ Fuzz . . . .  (GuitarPCB “Angry Llama” build) . . .

And finally, the Fat Fuzz . . . (GuitarPCB “Opamp BMP”) . . .

sofnwhat
    Participant

i love this.  i haven’t seen these guys in a good while.  far out!

mybud
    Participant

Far out and groovy, CC. Fuzz Freddy’s cat?

Crumb’s cartoon characters might also provide a rich field for exploration.

Ah, reminiscences of my (misspent) youth …

Phreak Phuzz, I love it.

Best, mybud

Cybercow

MyBud & SofNwat- Thanks! Glad I could tickle some old memories.

And yeah, just last night I was thinking about Fat Freddie’s Cat, but couldn’t come up with another fuzz for the naming. And the cat was always a side venture in the comics. So I was thinking about either a “Fat Cat Chorus” or a “Fat Cat Compressor”.

Barry
    Keymaster

Yah when I was 9 we went to Va Beach and we needed T Shirts at night when it cooled off so my Parental unit found the cheapest Tees he could and bought us all matching Tees with these characters on them and underneath each character picture was text indicating different types of WEED. Like Alcapulco Gold and Panama Red.

We had no idea why everyone was looking at us while playing Putt – Putt or bouncing on the Trampolines. It only took a few years for me to figure it all out.

That said I love them!!!

mybud
    Participant

Yeah, right on, Barry. One of the main indices of coolness in my adolescence was bringing really obscure (so-called ‘underground’) music to junior high school-era parties. In between the regular pop hits of the day, my co-conspirators and I would sneak onto the unsuspecting turntable such gems as ‘In-a-gadda-da-vida,’ the Kinks, Aum’s ‘Resurrection,’ Jimi Hendrix’ Smash Hits, ‘Trout Mask Replica,’ Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane (no starships in sight yet), King Crimson, and various other audible proofs of our subversive coolness. The acid test was the degree to which the others objected to our selections.

Needless to say, wearing t-shirts advertising weed in the calvinist era of South Africa would have been the clincher, especially at the putt-putt course.

Cybercow

And considering Fat Freddie’s Cat was another important aspect of the brothers, here is the “Fat Cat Chorus” concept art . . .

mybud
    Participant

Fab, CC. Faroutness and grooviness personified!

Cybercow

Couldn’t sleep last night, so I took advantage of the insomnia and put it to work for me. The white background was just too plain. So after looking at few different FFFB covers, I noticed that simple, 60’s “far out”-ish background was called for. I open up Photoshop and went to work. I also verified, thru multiple measurements and a previous ‘Mini-Me’ build, that all of these circuits will fit nicely (albeit barely) into a 1590B enclosure.

Now I’m just waiting on parts to arrive.

Barry
    Keymaster

Insomnia is the elixir of Kings.

Looks great!

Cybercow

Thanks Barry! it’s good to turn non-sleep into production. I think the background adds a lot to the total look and they lean-in towards some of the original backgrounds used on the comic book covers. I may tweak the background one more time to achieve that warped and/or twisted effect of the rays.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.