Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support DLay clicking

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    William
    Participant

Hello,

This is my fourth attempt at a D’Lay (2 successful, 2 Fail).  This fail makes sound, but there is a steady clicking that sounds like a Geiger counter.  The effect also has a very scratchy distortion in the echo.  I have checked that all the parts are in the right spots, I checked to see if I had any solder bridges, I swapped out both the PT2399 and the TL072, I think I got the voltages.  The following pictures show front of board, the back of board and the voltage measuements I got when I put the black probe on ground and the other probe on the indicated pin.  I looked online and this might be a “latching” problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

Billy

Check R11 is definitely a 1K and not a 110R both have the same colour bands read the opposite way

The voltage on IC1B pin 5 is way off it should be around 4.5v coming from VR through R11 all pins except 4 ground and 8 power should be around 4.5v

Some of your PT2399 readings are a little off pin 9 for example with 0v so check C1 solder joints have a good connection

I’d compare the voltages and use the schematic to check those areas where your voltages differ taking into account the difference in power supply,  yours looks like it’s 9.18V

Make sure your PT2399 is firmly secured into it’s socket

William
    Participant

Thanks,  I will look at the resister the c1 connection and try to work through the schematic.

Billy

Both R11 and R19 come from VR (voltage reference) which would be half the supply voltage around 4.5v

VR originates from the junction of R17 and 18 the voltage divider, all the VR points on the schematic should have a voltage of around 4.5v half the supply

R19 is pretty close and R11 way off even though they are both fed from VR so you’d expect the voltages on them to be the same, that would make me think that the cause of your problems could be a dry solder joint or wrong value on the resistor R11 that or a dry solder joint at pin 5 IC1B

As you know dry solder joints are often the cause of problems so perhaps try reflowing all of your solder joints especially the IC sockets with the IC’S removed, simply reheat the solder for 2 or 3 seconds allowing it to flow

I personally would normally check voltages at all the VR points indicated on the schematic starting at the bottom legs of R17 and 18 the voltage divider junction up to both sides of R11 and 19 and into pins 3 and 5 of the IC

I’d also check your VB points are all around 5v just to get used to using and checking schematic voltage information even though we know they are with your 4.91v on pin 1 of the PT2399 that tells us that IC3 is working correctly its all good practice and learning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart